Agility

megan_

I'd like to start prepping Fergus for agility (just for fun). We're on the waiting list for a club.

My question is: where do I start if I know absolutely nothing? Is there a good book or DVD that can guide me?

Fergus knows the basic obedience commands, has a great sit/stay, recall and can target my hand but that is it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Megan

This thread is discussing foundation behaviours for agility at the moment. These are behaviours which for the most part can be taught at home without the need for equipment. A few of the suggestions have equipment but the rest can be done without

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=177172&hl=

Edit: just noticed you said you are on a waiting list for a club

Edited by Kavik

LOL - know what you mean about terminology!

I just found this that might help. It is from the UK and you won't see all the equipment listed here I guess but it is pretty good. When looking at it, what they refer to as a 'snake', I have only heard it referred to as a 'serpentine' - but it was very similar.

http://agilitynet.co.uk/reference/glossary21.HTML

Edited by Mym

I'd like to start prepping Fergus for agility (just for fun). We're on the waiting list for a club.

My question is: where do I start if I know absolutely nothing? Is there a good book or DVD that can guide me?

Fergus knows the basic obedience commands, has a great sit/stay, recall and can target my hand but that is it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Megan

The very first thing I'd recommend is that you see an agility trial, if you already haven't. If you want to make yourself very popular at your club, volunteer to steward at their next event. You don't need experience to help out and they always need a hand.

If your club's not holding one soon, see if you can find one in your area or head for Melbourne Royal on agility day if you can get there.

thanks for the replies. I'll go along to a trial and have a look-see, unfortunately I get terrible migraines so I'm not the most reliable volunteer!

In terms of a "first step" foundation task/activity, what does everyone recommend?

I was thinking about something to do with focus. Fergus does listen and wait for commands, but he tends to look away from me and just respond the verbal cues. I've tried to correct this by starting:

i) triangle of temptation (look at me to get your food)

ii) Using a visual cue for sit, and not making any noise.

Is there anything else I should be doing as step 1?

I'm going to sound really repetitive (because I always say it) but I think Susan Garrett's Crate Games is one you could start on - it is fun to teach as well and you can do it in your lounge room if necessary. Like she says in the video, Crate Games also will give you an idea of how you are going to be as a trainer further down the track. I really like the philosophy she has in this dvd, all training is fun, even failing is fun and it gives you vital feedback on what you need to work on. I love training her way, because I feel good when I am thinking that way and I am sure my dog enjoys it too.

I always remember one session at training where the instructor was very negative about our dogs, just using sarcastic tone and saying the word 'dumb' occasionally. I felt awful, my dog got very quiet and I was getting next to no feedback on why my dog was so hopeless. I almost gave up after that night - but decided to get Moe Strenfel's Foundation DVD and it just transformed the whole experience for us. Seriously, people who I was at a camp with in June, could not believe how different my dog was at the beginning of August. She follows very similar principles to Susan Garrett.

If you join a club, they may have a library that you can borrow these. Or a member might lend you a copy?

Getting your Fergus to look at you, and also to look away at an object is really good too. After all, you eventually wont release until he is looking at his first obstacle. But make sure you understand the criteria for the exercise - I am not the most coordinated person so I find writing down the steps etc is good for me so I remind myself of what I am actually wanting to achieve. (I am a great one for confusing two exercises :p )I can then look at it again to check that I am doing the right steps.

As for the migraines....you poor bugga...they get me too, not as much these days (touch wood), my big triggers are dehydration and low blood sugar. I have also found Magnesium supplement to really help too.

Good luck with Fergus! :D

Edited by Mym