Dog Tracking .. Perth

Guest english.ivy

You going to get both dogs involved RS? I'm thinking if Kira gets the agility I should give Izzy this, especially since OH is taking too long to get his ...stuff together and organise the sledding with her :thumbsup:

Was that to me? I think I may just get involved with one of mine, at least to start with - probably Millie, she has the better nose!

I'm keen to try it as well, but the 8am start on a Sat morning is going to be a KILLER!! Perhaps I should just get over it and give it a go, if other newbies start at the same time then I might have some motivation :D

If you are interested in giving it a go next tracking season we could always go together and share the cost of the petrol. Can't say I like the early mornings but as its a seasonal dog activity I think I would survive it. Like you I would prefer to have other beginers to start with.

Yes sounds like a plan!!

The early morning start shouldn't worry me too much - I don't remember the last time I slept in past 6:30am since we got a certain little GSDx :laugh:

What sort of equipment is needed and what level of obedience (so that I have six months to get up to scratch :rofl: )???

There is no obedience requirement, as it is all done on lead. You need a harness, 10 - 15 metre long lead, old dark colour socks (articles) which get scent up and this is what you use to scent the dog to the person they are following and they must find them on the track as well. Also flags to mark the tracks for training only.

Thanks Livertreats. I have some long leads here. Any particular type of harness or whatever goes ???

Practially any harness, but Trackwest have a supply of them and lead for purchase.

Just need to allow the dog to be able to move freely and nothing tight around their necks are the best.

Just thought I would let you know that Trackwest will be holding a field day for beginners before the season starts again next year, been in March on previous years.

It will be advertised on their website, so would advise any one interested in seeing how their dog will go, this would be a great day to attend.

I will have to bow out of this I'm afraid...March/April next year might be a bad time for me to start a new doggy sport!!! :)

Good luck to all those who are going to have a go, and maybe I can join you the year after!!!!

The early morning start shouldn't worry me too much - I don't remember the last time I slept in past 6:30am since we got a certain little GSDx :rofl:

What sort of equipment is needed and what level of obedience (so that I have six months to get up to scratch ;) )???

There is no obedience requirement, as it is all done on lead. You need a harness, 10 - 15 metre long lead, old dark colour socks (articles) which get scent up and this is what you use to scent the dog to the person they are following and they must find them on the track as well. Also flags to mark the tracks for training only.

you probably don't need a harness and a 30' lead to start with. email the club and see what they recommend. sometimes clubs sell these items - i know the tracking club in sydney sells harnesses and leads.