Bsl In Australian States And Territories

KKDD

According to Wikipedia, only QLD, NSW and Vic have restrictive laws relating to pit bull terriers. Rather than read through piles of legislation I thought I see if anyone here knows whether thats correct. I thought WA had some BSL as well?

According to Wikipedia, only QLD, NSW and Vic have restrictive laws relating to pit bull terriers. Rather than read through piles of legislation I thought I see if anyone here knows whether thats correct. I thought WA had some BSL as well?

There is BSL in W.A and it also applies to any cross of the restricted breeds mentioned:

The Dog (Restricted Breeds) Regulations 2002 covering the ownership and handling of restricted breed dogs in Western Australia were gazetted on 22 March 2002, have been extended until 22 April 2006 and may be extended further. The legislation is provided for under section 53 of the Dog Act 1976.

The Regulations define restricted breeds as those whose importation into Australia has been prohibited under Federal Customs laws. The specific breeds are – pit bull terriers, American pit bull terriers, dogo Argentino, fila Brasileiro, Japanese tosa and Presa Canario. The Regulations also provide for a restricted breed dog to include any dog of a mixed breed that visibly contains any of the abovementioned prohibited breeds.

New Regulations announced by the Minister for Local Government and Regional Development, Mr John Bowler MLA, were gazetted on Friday, 9 December 2005 and will come into operation on Friday, 10 March 2006.

The effect of these Regulations is that an owner who already has a restricted breed dog may keep it for the rest of the dog’s life as long as it is sterilised. The intention is to phase out these types of dogs in Western Australia.

Effective 10 March 2006 owners of restricted breed dogs MUST:

• be 18 years of age or over;

• register (from 3 months of age) and provide proof to an authorised officer within 24hrs that the dog is sterilised (from 6 months of age);

• display “dangerous dog” warning signs at each entrance to the premises at which the dog is kept;

• keep the dog in escape-proof and child-proof fencing;

• ensure the dog wears a “dangerous dog” collar;

• leash and muzzle the dog while in public places;

• ensure no minors are in charge of the dog in public places;

• not keep more than two restricted dogs per person or property without a permit from the Council;

• notify a prospective owner that the dog is a restricted breed dog; and

• notify Council if the dog escapes, dies or there is a change of ownership or new address.

The Regulations also provide extra powers for seizure and destruction where regulations 5, 6 or 7 (enclosed) have been contravened.

These regulations apply to all restricted breeds regardless of temperament or behavioural history.

Thanks undershotfan. Looks similar to NSW. And just as reactionary.

It doesnt appear to include a prohibition on passing a restricted breed to someone else, or to aquiring one...?

Does anyone know if Tas, NT or SA have BSL?

• 1 month later...
I think there's a thread in this forum that outlines the situation in each state. I'm pretty sure that SA and TAS both have BSL.

In SA, you can keep restricted breeds, must be desexed and can't be bred, leashed and muzzled in public with a dangerous dog sign on your gate.

Diablo has got it right , and now they cant be sold or given away either. my dog is in sa due to the more relaxed laws there compared to queensland.

one part of the laws in sa state you have to put dangerous dog signs on your entry points to the property. i think that is ridiculus as if something was to happen in your yard with your dog such a sign is like you openly addmitting you have a dog that will attack, and you and your dog are stuffed if you went into court. as i wasnt in anyway happy to admit i have a dangerous dog i got legal advice for the situation. my Lawyer and i wrote a letter and approached my local council with this as our argument and i was able to get away with no putting the signs up. But the onlyreason being that i have never posed any issues with any council regards to the containment of the dog and always registering ect, so i have a good track record with them.

i would advise anybody to do the same if you can afford to get a lawyer for such a small task, it wasnt realy in my affordability at the time but i went ahead with it and i felt better for the dog afterwards, i was never expecting a problem but it doesnt mean you shouldnt assess the risks at hand.

I think it is hard the way small parts of the laws vary from state to state.(even Council to Council sometimes)

Where I am, if you don't have the signs and someone enters your yard and is attacked you are in for it.

IF you DO have the signs and someone enters your yard, anything that happens, it is their fault for trespassing.

Same if someone is trying to 'provoke' your Dangerous or Restricted Dog, knowing that is it Dangerous or Restricted, it is then THEIR fault if the dog attacks.

Our girl is 6yo and I was talking to my neighbour yesterday and mentioned how I thought my girl wouldn't be with us much longer and she asked which one, I said the Pit Bull. (Thinking I would hear a sigh of relief from her) She said she didn't even know we had a pit bull..LOL.

Nannas i understand the reasoning behind the signage and to a certain extent i agree.

but;

My dog is not dangerous.

the reason we went to the council was i was told that having that sign up is as good as admitting i own a dangerous dog, when i dont.

if i had the sign up the way it is these days i would be gonners if i was to be sued. geez these days a robber can sue the owner of the house he broke into if he hurts himself on something and get away with it.

Yup Chris,

It is weird how rules/laws change from state to state and even council to council.

It is always best to contact the council for the area in charge. Even for things not concerning dogs!!

I live on a corner block and people are always cutting through my front yard instead of walking around.

I began building a rockery out the front and some idiot cutting through in the middle of the night tripped over it. They weren't hurt but very abusive and threw one of the rocks at the front of the house, cracking the wall.

Ends up I should either have larger trees/shrubs around the edge of the rockery so people cannot trip on the rocks, OR provide lighting out the front so they can see the rockery, OR put in a fence along the whole yard to stop them walking through.

Nice to know my yard is a public walkway!!

its important to differentiate between dangerous dogs and restricted breeds. They are not the same thing, (despite what some journalists would have us believe) and have different requirements under the various state and territory legislations.

Diablo from your comment it seems that SA treats them as one and the same thing. Some of the rangers round where i live consider restricted breeds as convicted dangerous dogs too.

Edited by KKDD

its important to differentiate between dangerous dogs and restricted breeds. They are not the same thing, (despite what some journalists would have us believe) and have different requirements under the various state and territory legislations.

Diablo from your comment it seems that SA treats them as one and the same thing. Some of the rangers round where i live consider restricted breeds as convicted dangerous dogs too.

In Queanbeyan, the houses with Restricted Dogs are by law required to have the Dangerous Dog sign displayed. (not any other sign)

From what Diablo said SA is the same as here as far that is concerned.

As far as Queanbeyan is corncerned, if your pit cross did NOT pass the Temp Test then it could be dangerous to the community. It is up to the owner to take precations and warn people before there is an instance. It is more a worry that the dog will attack other dogs/animals, but really I don't see many dogs who would pass some of the Temp Tests, whether they are pits ot not.

Most people have no idea what the red/yellow collar means so it seems silly to have it as a warning.

There are more houses here with Dangerous Dog signs where the people don't even own a dog, then there are houses with restricted dogs displaying signs.

Most in Queanbeyan hid their dogs instead of following the restriction laws and sometimes it appears there wouldn't be a pit around here for miles.

Since restriction was brought in in Queanbeyan I haven't bumped into anyone/or heard of anyone with a legally registered/microchipped, pit/cross. I know they must be around somewhere but they are certainly hard to find.

They need to educate the general public about restriction and the warnings. The collars would be a good place to start.

I think they should also make everyone with Dangerous Dog signs--who do NOT have a dog or a dangerous dog--remove their signs.

What is the point in making people with restricted dogs have the DD sign, if the general public see it as a 'bluff' on most houses and ignore the sings anyway??

Pretty silly really!!

My sign states Restricted dog..

The house down the road states Dangerous dog declared by GCCC.

tybrax

Hi Tybrax,

Where did you get the Restricted sign?

I have never seen one, although I haven't ever really looked.

When I was going through my divorce a few years ago, my ex bought a sign that read

""Forget about the bloody dog. Beware of the wife""

It had a pic of a little dog looking on dumbfounded, as some mad woman with her hair in curlers attacked some poor guy.

I thought it was cute so I hung it at the front door. Someone stole it so I guessed there was another guy getting divorced in need of it..LOL

My sign states Restricted dog..

The house down the road states Dangerous dog declared by GCCC.

tybrax

Hi Tybrax,

Where did you get the Restricted sign?

I have never seen one, although I haven't ever really looked.

When I was going through my divorce a few years ago, my ex bought a sign that read

""Forget about the bloody dog. Beware of the wife""

It had a pic of a little dog looking on dumbfounded, as some mad woman with her hair in curlers attacked some poor guy.

I thought it was cute so I hung it at the front door. Someone stole it so I guessed there was another guy getting divorced in need of it..LOL

Hi Nanna's

Gold Coast City Council give you the signs which have to be displayed.

The mat at the front door states "BEWARE OF THE OWNER NOT THE DOG"

tybrax