Bleeding After Desexing Surgery

My dog just got desexed today. When i went to pick her up from the vet clinic in the afternoon, she was fine until the nurse came to get her and had said Bella's wound just started to bleed so they put some tape on the wound. She will be going back tomorrow for another checkup but am a bit worried if the bleeding is normal? I mean isn't bleeding a sign of an open wound? Bella has worn an e-collar since ive left the vet and at the moment am giving her lots of rest in her crate. Am just a bit concerned for my dog, as Bella is my first puppy and didn't expect this to hapen after surgery.

It does happen sometimes, if the vets/nurses weren't too concerned about it then I wouldn't worry too much :laugh: Have you had another look at the tape, is she still bleeding? It should have settled down by now. Just keep her nice and quiet (no jumping up and down on furniture and no zoomies!) and hopefully she will get the all-clear at her checkup tomorrow :laugh:

Hi Miss B, the last time i checked her wound the blood was drying up a bit. Have made sure she hasn't been doing any jumping, climbing stairs nor rough play. Most of the day she's been in her crate resting, though tonight she was abit restless and hasn't gone to toliet yet. Hopefully she'll improve more tomorrow. She didn't look so good after the vet, maybe due to the effects of the anaesthetic.

I have had dogs who have had major operations and there has always been some 'weeping' for a day or two after the surgery, so if your vet was OK with your dog as you left the vet, I'm sure she'll be fine until you go back tomorrow.

Anaesthetics do knock our fourlegged friends around a bit and if this is your first dog, no doubt it will seem quite odd and worrying but in another day or two, you will see a huge improvement and be a lot less worried :laugh: