How Common Is Sub-aortic Stenosis In Rottwilers

Hi All

I am very new to this but would like to post and hope that people might be able to offer some personal experiences and advice

Our Rotty has SAS which our vet tells us is an inherited heart condition becoming more common in Rottweilers

as I love my baby Schmoo I would like to know more about the condition , how long a life span might she have (she has managed 2 1/2 years so far) has any one else experienced the care of a rottie with this problem ?

is there any thing for me to look out for in caring for her ?

Are breeders in Australia testing for this condition ? as we would like to buy another rottie soon but the thought of the possibility losing another baby early to a bad heart if we could avoid it is heart breaking

Hello SB, I have had Rotts for a very long time and have only heard of a couple of cases of SAS. It is quite common in the US but as far as I know not here. I am so sorry your baby has this. Have you gone back to the breeder? Surely they can help you with information. I know that if one of my pups was diagnosed with an heritary condition I would want to know. Have you googled SAS, that might help you with the information you are after.

I am sorry I have not helped, hugs to your girl.

Hello SB, I have had Rotts for a very long time and have only heard of a couple of cases of SAS. It is quite common in the US but as far as I know not here. I am so sorry your baby has this. Have you gone back to the breeder? Surely they can help you with information. I know that if one of my pups was diagnosed with an heritary condition I would want to know. Have you googled SAS, that might help you with the information you are after.

I am sorry I have not helped, hugs to your girl.

Thanks for the support , we have found some info , not very positive I am afraid , we did go back to the breeder and let them know and as far as i am aware none of her litter mates are showing or a likely to be breed from , and mum has been retired , most of the info and research is coming from overseas but from the US and my baby is european and Aussie based lines , although my vet says that this is becoming a common issue for the rotties there doesnt seem to be much based in Aus either research or advice ?

thanks for the hugs , Schmoo is a sweetie and enjoying her life for now , a little less active than the other dogs but still having fun

• 5 months later...

Hello

My 11 month old girl Molly also has SAS. You are the first person I've been able to find who is in the same situation so it doesn't seem very common here in Australia. I did a lot of research on the web and it depends on the severity of the condition as to their longevity. Unfortunately Molly was diagnosed as severe at 9 months and already had damage to her heart wall so she won't make 3 years :laugh:

The vet told me that a lot of dogs with this condition can go on to live normal happy long lives. I hope Schmoo is one of those :)

I'm like you, I'm really worried about getting my next Rottie because it's such a heartbreaking condition to deal with.