Am I Feeding Sbt Pup Enough?

TYLER23

Evening All,

Just wandering if we are feeding our 12 week old Stafford pup enough food?

The breeder had him on 1/2 cup dry (60g) for brekky and 3/4 cup dry (90g) + 100g mince for dinner, for a total of 250g/day.

We've since changed him to 1/2 cup dry (60g) for brekky (with occasional sardines/yoghurt/egg) and 200g of raw for dinner (either chicken necks/wings, lamp flaps or roo tail). The thing is, it just doesn't look like enough food...He looks about right though, no ribs showing. He weighed 5.5kg at 10 weeks.

He will probably end up being on the slightly smaller size as an adult, say 17kg, so 1.5% of 17kg is 255g, which is what he is approximately eating now. Does this sound right?

Obviously as he grows we need to feed him more, when do we increase his intake, and buy how much? The breeder has her adult dogs on about 700g/day, which sounds like a lot.

Thanks in advance.

With a puppy I would be feeding up to 10% of it's current weight not 1.5% of it's "expected" adult weight but this is when feeding 100% raw - with processed food you do (obviously :) ) have to adjust the amount. It depends on what sort of food - 1/2 a cup of some would be way too much, and not enough of others.

Does the pup look a good weight, is he active bright and growing steadily? Avoid getting him fat and watch his legs, if they start to turn out more than very slightly you've either got a hughly fat puppy or an imbalance.

And just as an aside 17kg is at the UPPER end of the standard - certainly not "small".

With a puppy I would be feeding up to 10% of it's current weight not 1.5% of it's "expected" adult weight but this is when feeding 100% raw - with processed food you do (obviously :) ) have to adjust the amount. It depends on what sort of food - 1/2 a cup of some would be way too much, and not enough of others.

Does the pup look a good weight, is he active bright and growing steadily? Avoid getting him fat and watch his legs, if they start to turn out more than very slightly you've either got a hughly fat puppy or an imbalance.

And just as an aside 17kg is at the UPPER end of the standard - certainly not "small".

I have the puppy on Advance, the feeding guide says 230g/day for a 3 month old pup with an expected adult weight of 15kg. i want to keep him on dry for brekky and raw in the evening.

Yes, he does look like a healthy weight and very active. What do you mean by the legs turning out?

What do you mean by the legs turning out?

If you see it you will know!

At this age I would want his feet pointing straight ahead when he's interested in something & he's at "full attention" - many pups not being fed properly get a very strong turn out from the "knees" down - not something you can miss when it's present.

Evening All,

Just wandering if we are feeding our 12 week old Stafford pup enough food?

The breeder had him on 1/2 cup dry (60g) for brekky and 3/4 cup dry (90g) + 100g mince for dinner, for a total of 250g/day.

We've since changed him to 1/2 cup dry (60g) for brekky (with occasional sardines/yoghurt/egg) and 200g of raw for dinner (either chicken necks/wings, lamp flaps or roo tail). The thing is, it just doesn't look like enough food...He looks about right though, no ribs showing. He weighed 5.5kg at 10 weeks.

He will probably end up being on the slightly smaller size as an adult, say 17kg, so 1.5% of 17kg is 255g, which is what he is approximately eating now. Does this sound right?

Obviously as he grows we need to feed him more, when do we increase his intake, and buy how much? The breeder has her adult dogs on about 700g/day, which sounds like a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd stick with 3 feeds a day for a while longer.

I also prefer to err on the side of caution and slightly over-feed puppies than under-feed them.