Hand Raised Puppy Update

Cavalier

Just though Id give everyone an update on the little pup I have been hand raising. Unfortunately his sister passed away at 1 week :mad

He is nearly 4 weeks old, is chowing down puppy food, is running around his little pen and is generally very very happy!! We have decided to keep him - we desperately need a big dog to guard our yard. He should mature between 50-60kg and will be a big solid black Mastiff looking dog so should look very scary!!

As he was born premature, he is still quite undersized for his age, but hopefully he will catch up now he is on a balanced puppy food.

Does anybody have any data on when a pups immune system can respond to a vaccine where there is no maternal antibodies? He did not recieve any colostrum from the bitch, only bovine replacement colostrum. So presumably he would have no circulating antibodies against parvo, distemper or hepatitis to interfere with an early vaccination?

With the amount of parvo Im exposed to I want to vaccinate him as soon as is scientifically possible. Obviously I am taking every possible precaution - but as we all know even with every precaution there is still that small risk.

If you dig up the Jean Dodds Australian talk on pet talk radio she recommends fresh frozen plasma be given rather than Vaccinating as early as possible. Give the plasma then Vacc as per normal at 6-8 weeks (she prefers 8).

How does she recommend the plasma is given? This pup is way too small to get an IV catheter in.

Not sure about the J.Dodd's info but the plasma can be given subcut for the antibodies, since it's not always available, the old protocol for vaccinating orphans was 4 weeks onwards, in high risk ones, I have known of vets to vaccinate from 2 weeks, but those cases were in the face of outbeaks with orphans.

Thanks for your help. After examining all the information we have decided to vaccinate him today, then again at 6 weeks.

Pup still doing very well. I am absolutely amazed how quickly they develop. Even though I am a vet, we very rarely get the opportunity to see puppies this young. It has been a great learning experience.

Every day he learns something new. Just today he started to respond to my voice, and comes when called.

One more question. He is eating solids very well, but how do I teach him how to lap water?

As soon as they are eating they work that out on their own. Would place a bowl in there when eating and then take it away so he doesn't fall in it. BY 6 weeks he should be in enough control to have access full time to water. Do you have another young pup to have him play with? Single hand raised pups can be a bit of fun down the track...

As soon as they are eating they work that out on their own. Would place a bowl in there when eating and then take it away so he doesn't fall in it. BY 6 weeks he should be in enough control to have access full time to water. Do you have another young pup to have him play with? Single hand raised pups can be a bit of fun down the track...

Unfortunately no....

However I have 3 very playful Cavaliers, all with very different temperaments who can show him the ropes.

He will be crate trained, and will have very strict rules, as do the others. Once he is fully vaccinated he will be going to obedience training with the others as well. Hopefully we wont run into too many behavioral problems!

I'm another vet who has done a lot of hand raising of pups, I'd be putting the pup with the most maternal of dogs asap as much as possible. He needs that bonding with another dog, otherwise they become too dependant on people, aka separation anxiety, and that's not pretty in a 50kg plus dog! Have you tried looking up responsible breeders in your area that may have baby pups? At least that way he could have puppy playtime at 6 weeks of age (once vacc's kicked in better).

I'm another vet who has done a lot of hand raising of pups, I'd be putting the pup with the most maternal of dogs asap as much as possible. He needs that bonding with another dog, otherwise they become too dependant on people, aka separation anxiety, and that's not pretty in a 50kg plus dog! Have you tried looking up responsible breeders in your area that may have baby pups? At least that way he could have puppy playtime at 6 weeks of age (once vacc's kicked in better).

He spends time with all 3 of them during the day.

There are no responsible breeders in our area.... small country town. Its BYB city unfortunately :thumbsup: