Chihuahua With Tear Stains

mcq

From my personal experience tear staining is a very frustrating issue with many different theories being thrown about as to its cause and possible treatments. I spent a great deal of money and time with my first Cavalier in the first year and a half of her life trying to find out if there was a cause and therefore a possible treatment for her tear staining. Most Vets don't hold with the "teething theory", I don't find it very plausable either. She was checked by Vets, had her ducts flushed, been given the all clear by Opthamologists as having (quote) "very good eyes from an Opthamologists point of view" (unquote) but still needs her eyes wiped and dried daily to prevent tear staining. :laugh: I've come to accept it as part of her grooming as no cause for the tearing has been found and I have been told it is COMMON to that type of eye shape.

My second Cavalier doesn't have a tearing problem at all.

Interestingly alot of dogs (white ones) have red staining around their mouths from the saliva (bacteria in the saliva??)

I have also seen staining on feet where dogs lick themselves excessively, again the saliva.

Oh, (don't know if anyone addressed your question) but don't consider putting Vaseline under her eyes. It's Petroleum Jelly, a Petro Chemical by product. Nasty stuff.

Edited by LizT

• 1 month later...

I have a white longcoat Chihuahua who had very bad tear staining. I tried every remedy on her eyes, none worked. I tried the vinegar thing, no good. Took her to the vet who examined her eyes, nothing wrong, and even operated on her tear ducts to clear them. After nearly $400 still no cure.

I looked at Angels Eyes but at the time USA was not exporting the product to Australia because it is meat based. Then stumbled upon an online seller in Australia who supplies it. The product is from USA but has a vegetable base so able to be imported to Australia. It is very expensive for the first couple of months but after that we only put it in Sophies food 2 or 3 times a week, and believe it or not HER TEAR STAINS HAVE DISAPPEARED.

I don't know if I can reveal the seller on this forum but can be messaged privately.