Elbow Dysplasia In Puppies

dissonant

Hello Forum,

I have a 14 month old pure (over?) bred American Staffy called Havoc, who has recently been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia.

It appears to be *severe* on her passenger side front leg, and I have an appointment with Dr Richard Mitchell on tuesday. Her elbow on this side has severely restricted movement, even under anaesthesia. ( cannot acheive 90 degrees).

I'm interested in hearing about similar cases, prognoses, and *anything* else that people who have experienced similar ailments in their hounds can provide information on.

Essentially I've already decided to go ahead with arthroscopic surgery - if this will make a difference to her quality of life - on both elbows if required.

Although I am a modest wage earner, cost is no barrier. I can get more cash. I can't get another Havoc.

I'd appreciate any information you can throw my way.

Best regards,

M

mls I had a labrador with severe elbow dysplasia who was operated on by Richard. We had both sides done, not to cure the condition but to improve the quality of life for the dog. We tried conservative management to begin with under the direction of Dr Mitchell - hydrotherapy and cartrophen etc but it didn't improve. He was diagnosed at 5 months and operated on at about 11 months by memory. Under arthroscopy the joints were cleaned out and fractured coronoid process was removed on each side. He was crated for a month post op and only allowed out on a lead (this was hard work!). Richard felt that he improved somewhat after surgery but his gait was still odd. The build up of fluid around the joint didn't return. We knew that it was about improving his quality of life and not about curing him.

He had lots of hydrotherapy both before and after surgery. The after surgery exercise improved the muscle around his shoulders significantly more than pre surgery (this would have also been related to him becoming more sexually mature too). I rehomed him to a lovely family who were very aware of his limitations. I left him entire so the hormones would help continue to build muscle where he was so wasted. I saw him when he was two and he was beautifully muscled around his shoulders, still with some gait issues but generally a big happy and healthy boy. Now desexed! He will develop arthritis earlier than most dogs and this will need to be managed. He is not allowed to be walked long distances to to play fetch endlessly. He just runs about the backyard as he pleases.

ETA I believe you are in very good hands with Richard. He is very highly regarded and is very knowledgable about joint conditions.

Edited by Pointeeblab

mls I had a labrador with severe elbow dysplasia who was operated on by Richard. We had both sides done, not to cure the condition but to improve the quality of life for the dog. We tried conservative management to begin with under the direction of Dr Mitchell - hydrotherapy and cartrophen etc but it didn't improve. He was diagnosed at 5 months and operated on at about 11 months by memory. Under arthroscopy the joints were cleaned out and fractured coronoid process was removed on each side. He was crated for a month post op and only allowed out on a lead (this was hard work!). Richard felt that he improved somewhat after surgery but his gait was still odd. The build up of fluid around the joint didn't return. We knew that it was about improving his quality of life and not about curing him.

He had lots of hydrotherapy both before and after surgery. The after surgery exercise improved the muscle around his shoulders significantly more than pre surgery (this would have also been related to him becoming more sexually mature too). I rehomed him to a lovely family who were very aware of his limitations. I left him entire so the hormones would help continue to build muscle where he was so wasted. I saw him when he was two and he was beautifully muscled around his shoulders, still with some gait issues but generally a big happy and healthy boy. Now desexed! He will develop arthritis earlier than most dogs and this will need to be managed. He is not allowed to be walked long distances to to play fetch endlessly. He just runs about the backyard as he pleases.

ETA I believe you are in very good hands with Richard. He is very highly regarded and is very knowledgable about joint conditions.

Hi Pointeeblab,

Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated. I'm up for whatever hard work it takes to improve Havoc's quality of life. Havoc has already been desexed, so I'll be counting a bit on her 13 y/o english staffy x boxer playmate Zed to help her recover phase (after the requisite rest period).

I'll post again (perhaps with photos) once she's recovered a little.

If anyone's interested, there's some photos of both girls at http://apps.mls.id.au under the links titled: Zed, Lost and Hound, and Unleashing Havoc.

Thanks again.

mls

Hello Forum,

Well, Havoc had a unilateral arthroscopy done today by Dr. Mitchell.

Turns out she had a (displaced) fractured coronoid process (a rather large chunk it seems), and was graded at 2 for cartilage deterioration, which is a better result than I had dared to hope for.

The staff at NCVS, and in particular Dr Mitchell are the most professional I have encountered in any line of work. For someone who's academically published Dr Mitchell knows how to communicate to laymen and is incredibly thorough. The cost turned out to be less than what I was quoted - not that this matters to me (see previous post), and Dr Mitchell's recommendations for followup and providing guidance on realistic expectations are excellent.

Havoc's lying behind me right now, sleeping (a blessing), she's a somewhat sore and sorry hound, but I understand that it needs to get (a little) worse before it gets better.

We've got a few weeks of intensive rest :cheer: ahead of us, and we'll be doing lots of physio and swimming after the three week mark.

best,

mls

Hello Forum,

Well, Havoc had a unilateral arthroscopy done today by Dr. Mitchell.

Turns out she had a (displaced) fractured coronoid process (a rather large chunk it seems), and was graded at 2 for cartilage deterioration, which is a better result than I had dared to hope for.

The staff at NCVS, and in particular Dr Mitchell are the most professional I have encountered in any line of work. For someone who's academically published Dr Mitchell knows how to communicate to laymen and is incredibly thorough. The cost turned out to be less than what I was quoted - not that this matters to me (see previous post), and Dr Mitchell's recommendations for followup and providing guidance on realistic expectations are excellent.

Havoc's lying behind me right now, sleeping (a blessing), she's a somewhat sore and sorry hound, but I understand that it needs to get (a little) worse before it gets better.

We've got a few weeks of intensive rest :laugh: ahead of us, and we'll be doing lots of physio and swimming after the three week mark.

best,

mls

Very glad to hear that you had a reasonably positive result. Dr Mitchell is unbelievably good but unfortunately some breeders aren't interested in following his recommendations regarding breeding direct relatives of dogs with these types of inheritable joint problems. He recommends that no other pups from the same litter are bred from because to do so is "propogating ED" (in his words).

Not only is his very good at his job, he is an extremely good looking man. :cheer::rofl:

Wishing the best for Havoc's recovery. :laugh: