Training For Grooming & Nutrition

LMJ_31

I've done a bit of scouting around on the internet and i've seen a few grooming schools in Melbourne.

Is it better to stick to Box Hill TAFE rather than private tuition from other groomers? Any recommendations from anyone?

Also it has always been my dream to make a few things on the side for dogs. I'm thinking dog biscuits but I want to ensure the ingredients are suitable for dogs and I know about alergies and nutrition etc. I have contacted a few people who have studied animal nutrition to see if they can assist me (I am happy to pay for their advice). Am I going the right way about it?

Thanks,

Lisa

Being some who did the original Box Hill TAFE grooming (full time) course, and being friends with people who did the part-time course couple years ago, i can say IMO that theres nothing that can really compare to actually just getting out there in the grooming industry and getting experience that way. yes, the course is fantastic for basic grooming/nutrition/scientific knowledge, but getting out there and actually grooming on a daily basis is the only way to learn, IMHO. Not sure exactly what the course is like this year but its probably the same basic topics.

So the best advice i could personally give would be to get out there and groom as much as you can, and learn as much as you can from the employer...ask heaps of questions and learn different techniques for doing the same thing (eg theres several ways to hold a dog when clipping nails...that sort of thing)

Nutrition wise you can learn alot from a salon who sells retail!

Where abouts are you located? Could always go around to salons in your area and maybe volunteer (if you're interested in that) maybe bathing/drying? On the job is the best way to learn grooming.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for that info. I am in Caroline Springs.

I did think of volunteering at a grooming salon yes, there is a large one opening up in Maribyrnong shortly I noticed.

I think I will start with the biscuits first (start off small) and see where I go from there.

Thanks for your input!

Lisa