Kennel Cough

Trishm

What is the incubation period for KC.?

I took my greyhound to the GAP Christmas Party on Sunday, and today have noticed that she has given a few coughs, I immediately thought of KC, could this be possible ?

If so how much Manuka Honey do I give her ?

Thanks,

Trish

Not sure about the incubation period (I thought it was anything up to 3 weeks??)

But as for the Manuka Homey, I'd be giving two or three teaspoonfuls each day (ie one in the morning, one at lunch or mid arvo then one at night before bed - approx 8 hourly - treat it like an anitbiotic).

Also put a little honey in chilled water, very soothing and healing. :thumbsup:

Not sure about the incubation period (I thought it was anything up to 3 weeks??)

But as for the Manuka Homey, I'd be giving two or three teaspoonfuls each day (ie one in the morning, one at lunch or mid arvo then one at night before bed - approx 8 hourly - treat it like an anitbiotic).

Also put a little honey in chilled water, very soothing and healing. :cheer:

Good advice, ArtyFarty. But I wouldn't go for chilled water. Cool water from the tap would be better. It is absorbed more readily by the body. And go for Active Manuka Honey with a UMF of 20+ or higher. Expensive, but very good stuff.

Incubation period is generally around 10 - 14 days.

Edited by Erny

Also put a little honey in chilled water, very soothing and healing. :)

Good advice, ArtyFarty. But I wouldn't go for chilled water. Cool water from the tap would be better. It is absorbed more readily by the body. And go for Active Manuka Honey with a UMF of 20+ or higher. Expensive, but very good stuff.

Incubation period is generally around 10 - 14 days.

My dogs have always loved chilled water, they seemed to think it was a treat! :cheer:

I even fed ice cream to the KC/CC victim at the time, treating him as though he had a sore throat. I bet he wished he had a sore throat more often :(

Thanks, I have got the ActiveManuka honey 20 UMF, and have given her a teaspoon of it, but she wouldnt take it in water, so I gave it to her in a little milk, I have to be careful of fats with her because she has had pancreatitus and is on Royal Canin Low Digestive food, so hopefully the 1%fat milk won't hurt her.

Fingers crossed that it is not KC, it is day 3 today since the party, seems a bit soon, but I would rather be sure than sorry, I have 3 whippets too, one is 14 and I don't want her to contract it either.

Again thanks for the help,

Trish

Thanks, I have got the Active Manuka honey 20 UMF, and have given her a teaspoon of it, but she wouldnt take it in water, so I gave it to her in a little milk...

Will she not take it (neat) straight off a teaspoon?

My dog would spin cartwheels for a teaspoon of AMH :rofl: .

The honey itself will help sooth and heal a sore throat, if she has one, as well.

Edited by Erny

Our girl developed "KC" after going to the coast. Our vet suggested 10 -14 days incubation also. Even though she was vaccinated for KC she still developed a cough but no temperature, ate everything ( mind you we are talking about a Labrador) and never appeared ill as such - just coughed like a demented seal! :rofl: - so maybe it wasnt KC - who knows. But the honey did the trick and non of our other dogs developed anything - its been 5 weeks now and no cough in anyone. I wonder if it is just a bug going round.

So where do you SAussies buy the Manuka honey 20 UMF??? I'm babysitting 2 italian greyhounds that had vaccinations and 2 days later started coughing - on phoning the vet he said tonsilitis and to use honey (didn't specify Manuka though)......puppies are healthy and gutsing their dinner and very happy - just barking 'like a seal' !!! Oh.....and how long for the 'barking' to stop please with this treatment.......anyone know???

Erny, she won't take it off the teaspoon, I tried that first, mind you the whippets loved it, I gave them some just in case.

I haven't heard any coughs overnight. :rofl: so heres hoping its not KC.

I bought the honey at Colonades at DVC, the health food shop by Woolworths.

Trish

Even though she was vaccinated for KC she still developed a cough but no temperature

KC can be caused by viral infections such as canine distemper, canine adenovirus, canine parainfluenza virus, or canine respiratory coronavirus, or bacterial infections such as Bordetella bronchiseptica. source

The vaccination only works against the bacterial infection, as virus's cannot be treated with anti-biotics.

Both our dogs have had their vaccinations and both have had the viral version of KC.

When we got the dog in the pic (avatar, whatever it is called) she had had KC left untreated. By the time we got her she had pneumonia and the people thought it was parvo as she had been coughing up phlegm and she stunk. (they thought she was vomiting)

Thank Heavens for 24 vets who are willing to go that extra mile in the middle of the night!!!

Hope your dogs are OK. It is terrible to see them sick.

Funny sequel to this.......the dreaded KC never developed, Ebony must have just had a scratchy throat or something, I had given her a dried lamb crunchy the night before, so maybe it was that. I gave her and the whippets a few doses of Manuka honey, and nothing further developed....except that I am now the one swallowing the Manuka honey, I have such a sore throat, I can hardly talk, swallow etc........... :eek:

Trish