Eight Years Today

Dog_Horse_Girl

It's been eight years since my Aussie passed. He was a staffy x cattle dog, the first dog I had who was mine and not the family's dog. I got him in Darwin, the first time I lived there. He was part of an oops litter that was being given away at the beach markets. I couldn't offer him much but it was better than the alternative so I took him home with me. :confused:

He spent his life moving around as I moved - enduring many changes which he took in his stride. When I met my OH, Aussie was initially protective of me but that changed the second OH gave Aussie a meal. They were fast friends from then on. You know how it is with a dog and food - and so Aussie became great mates with my OH and ultimately became "our" first dog together too. :)

He got along well with Ruby when we adopted her (also in Darwin). There were a few scraps (mostly over food!) and Aussie was still the one in charge, or so he thought! Ruby soon usurped his position and I think he actually liked it when she took over. It meant he had more time for the important things: lying in the sun (or the shade on a stinker of a day), gnawing on bones he found in the garden (or ones we gave them), relaxing on the couch with us. He also became demented to a degree but that didn't seem to faze him...and then he declined very fast, so fast that we only had time to get him to the vet for him to be given his wings. We were in shock that night...our boy had gone downhill literally in 12 hours and it took a while for his passing to sink in.

Aussie - you were a true friend. You got me through some pretty awful times. You never judged, you never berated, you never minded when I spent hours talking rubbish to you. You were just there for me. No matter how much time passes, you will remain in my heart and mind.

I love you, Aussie-boy! :thumbsup:

Lillysmum

I am so sorry you are still missing Aussie.

But then again its good to hear you are still thinking of him :mad

And as for talking rubbish to him?? nope any words from you would have been good words to him.

Just to hear your voice and know you were talking to him.... priceless

run free Aussie - look after Callie for me, she's new and needs your help

Lillysmum

I am so sorry you are still missing Aussie.

But then again its good to hear you are still thinking of him :laugh:

And as for talking rubbish to him?? nope any words from you would have been good words to him.

Just to hear your voice and know you were talking to him.... priceless

run free Aussie - look after Callie for me, she's new and needs your help

I'll always miss him to a degree. But I have happy memories in my heart and over time I feel his loss a little less.

The important ones leave a little something of themselves in our hearts. It's their way of staying with us. :)