Fear Based Aggression?

Hello Everyone :-)

I just found you guys today and am rapt that I did! Will be great to tap into everyone's knowledge and experience.

Looking for some thoughts / advice:

One of my dogs is a 5.5 yr old Siberian Husky bitch (desexed) who my husband and I rescued at the age of 10mths. We were her fourth owners and she absolutely did not trust us at first, understandably.

Fast forward and four years on, she has become an affectionate if totally erratic and hair-brained dog who is very true to the breed - energetic, has no protective instincts, very prey-driven, etc. She is as obedient as a Sibe can be but I would say on a scale of 1 - 10 she sits at about a 7.5-8, when it comes to myself and my husband anyway (she doesn't really listen to anyone else).

About 4 mths ago, we had a good friend house-sit and when she was going to bed she tried to put the dogs out, at which point our husky snapped at her - a first. Then, my mother had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I put it down to the fact that Jazz, whilst being familiar with both women, has no urge to be obedient to them.

However, last night I called her to put her out and she ignored me several times - I went to her and when I reached for her, she snapped at me then jumped up and ran to a different part of the house and curled up, ears back, head on the floor. We repeated this about 4 times, with her bolting to different rooms each time. Eventually, I squatted down about 2m from her and called her over in a very soft voice, she came straight to me looking quite nervous but without hesitation. I told her to "heel", which she did and then I walked her outside, no problems.

I am uncertain as to what has caused this - she didn't in anyway act angrily aggressive, ie coming at me. It was more defensive, as if she felt threatened. That said, given she came to me quite happily when I crouched down, she obviously isn't scared of me, so what I am I doing wrong to make her feel the need to snap at me?

Sorry for the length - thanks for your time

Sharna

how good is your 'good friend'

would she of had anyone visiting that the dog had an issue with?

She is someone I know and trust, she is definitely a dog lover and wouldn't tolerate someone hurting our dogs - that said, I know she had a couple of visitors whilst house-sitting and I cannot say with 100% surety that no-one hurt Jazz. I can say I wouldn't think it likely, and that if anything negative was done towards Jazz, my friend wouldn't have known about it. But it is a good thought - I will have a chat to her and find out exactly who might have been around the dogs while we were away, and go from there.

sounds like something happened while you were not home - a nervous dog with a stranger only in the house can be quite dramatic for many dogs, I know my Malinois would not take kindly to it at all

You need to start somewhat from scratch. Sounds like her confidence is shaken and she's retaliating. I dont think I'd go as far as fear aggression, more just unconfidence, anxiety which is manifesting.

ETA remember from a human perspective maybe it wasnt so bad, but from Jazzs perspective strange people who may have tried to lure her with a treat or to pat her when the owners were not home could have been very very stresful. I think having friend allow her friends in the house too is a massive no no with a dog like Jazz.

Edited by Nekhbet

What did "trying to put the dog" out entail?

Did they grab her collar or try to physically push her out?

I think you need to see a professional about this. I'd be starting the process with a vet visit to eliminate any physical causes for her reaction. A good chiro would be an idea too.

Edited by poodlefan