Adding Distractions In Training

I have been working hard lately on Micas loose leash walking. Things are going great and finaly I can enjoy a nice walk with her without my arm aching at the end of it :eek: We saw Steve from k9 force when he was here in Melbourne and he had her walking nicely in 10 seconds :D Now I am able to as well, which I am pretty happy with. I know this is a basic thing that most people take for granted but we have struggled with so I am pleased.

However I am a little stuck at where to progress from here. I need to start adding distractions and proofing her in different settings. I am not so good with this so was after some ideas, advice and techniques that others have used.

For her, other animals are her biggest issue, echidnas, kanagroos, rabbits and other dogs in that order. We have done a little training with echidnas as we have come across them on our walks. She was very interested but managed to keep a loose lead. It is hard to get hold of a kangaroo to do some training :laugh:

My main issue is that we live in the country. Adding distractions like other dogs is a little hard. I dont have access to any dog parks, there is a park here but you might only see a dog in it every now and then. There is also no obedience club. We have a nice lady who teaches at the local vets but I wouldnt be able to go as she wont allow the type of collar I use. If I take her to town down the main street it is a bit to high a distraction at this stage as you often come accross a dog dogs at cafes etc and by the time you see them it is to late.

So any suggestions about how I can approach adding distractions? What things have other people done?

Oh I really need to proof her recalls so would love some ideas on this as well!

Hey Laeral, have you started doing recalls in your TID program yet? Daisy's recall came along in leaps and bounds when we introduced it in drive.

As for distractions, have you tried putting lots of interesting things on the ground, i.e. toys, food, etc?

If I go somewhere with Daisy that is really distracting, I ask for the most basic focus (i.e. put her in heel position and get her to look at me) for a short time and give big rewards.

Huski, we have touched on recalls in TID but are not up to distraction stage yet. just thougth Id get some ideas in place early on. Im sure Steve will have plenty to say but the more ideas the better.

I have thought about stuff on the ground. She is not interested in toys at all if they are sitting on the ground. I thought I might get someone to roll them a long the gorund or throw them around a bit?

You could get someone to squeak/throw toys as you are training or you could get a toy that moves or makes a funny noise too.

Do you have any friends/family with other dogs? If you do, you could have her in heel position next to you or in a stay or whatever and get them to walk the other dog near by, around you, in front of you etc.

You could get someone to squeak/throw toys as you are training or you could get a toy that moves or makes a funny noise too.

Do you have any friends/family with other dogs? If you do, you could have her in heel position next to you or in a stay or whatever and get them to walk the other dog near by, around you, in front of you etc.

I have enlisted the help of a friend who will throw toys for me :thumbsup:

I am also going to ask another friend who has a Golden Retriever and a Border Collie, if I can use them to train around. Eventually I will use my brothers dog as he is her most favorite dog friend in the world and she goes nuts around. If she can stay calm and walk on a loose lead around him then she will work near any dog.

Thanks for the suggestions :laugh: