Microchipping In Nsw

mysticpaw

A friend against all my advice and all the links and literature I could offer has bought a cross Pom/Shih Tzu. :thumbsup:

Puppy has come home today and I was told by a mutual friend that he is not microchipped.

The reason given by the BYB was they were too small for the needle. Pup is now aprox 9 weeks, pretty sure the others have gone to homes.

Questions: Would a vet vaccinate puppies that were not microchipped?

People that breed tiny dogs, is that for real about being too small?

Will my friend have a problem when she goes for the next vaccination (that is if puppy has even had it's first

one) or will a vet just microchip no questions asked?

Why won't she microchip the puppy? Size has nothing to do with it. Charlie was barely a kilo when I got him and he was microchippped.

Sorry, I'm not sure if a vet will vaccinate a puppy if they haven't been microchip, I've never had a dog that's never been microchipped before.

Would a vet vaccinate puppies that were not microchipped?

Yes

I know of people who wait until the 12 week vaccination and puppies don't go home until after that time (they are chipped at that 2nd vaccination)...

Will my friend have a problem when she goes for the next vaccination...or will a vet just microchip no questions asked?

I don't believe there will be any issues

Thanks Aziah.

I am still pretty peeved at the decision, as most of us probably get when you put the time and effort into trying to educate people.

This is their first puppy, bought for the kids and I hope for their sakes all goes well.

I still feel the need to growl though. :)

Yes, it's not the vets job to ensure that puppies are micrichipped, it't the breeders responsibility to make sure they comply with the CAA. All puppies must be chipped before they are sold or given away or before they are 12 weeks ( which ever comes first )

All the vet can do is educate

It's complete garbage, small birds , mammals and pups are chipped all the time. It's a cop out from the "breeder" and I use that term loosely.

Will my friend have a problem when she goes for the next vaccination (that is if puppy has even had it's first one) or will a vet just microchip no questions asked?

Your friends just needs to tell whoever makes the appointment that it's a second vacc and chip. The clinic will have the necessay paperwork on hand.

A complaint should also be made to the local council, regarding the "breeder" and their failure to microchip.

A complaint should also be made to the local council, regarding the "breeder" and their failure to microchip.

That's not going to happen as they are happy with the puppy, so unless there is a problem with it's health I can't see them doing anything.

Just out of interest, ball park figure how much have they saved in $$$$ terms by not microchipping?

we got bert from a registered breeder and we were told he wasnt microchipped as they are too small to do at 8 weeks.

we took the breeders word for it as we didnt know any better, thought they knew best.

we had no problems getting him vacinated, and we had him microchipped at a council microchipping day.

That's not going to happen as they are happy with the puppy, so unless there is a problem with it's health I can't see them doing anything.

Just out of interest, ball park figure how much have they saved in $$$$ terms by not microchipping?

Somewhere between $25 and $55 per puppy.

Not microchipping is the one thing that really gets me p!ssed off, it's one of the most basic requirements as a breeder ( any breeder be it registered or BYB ) under the companion animals act.

A friend against all my advice and all the links and literature I could offer has bought a cross Pom/Shih Tzu. :)

Puppy has come home today and I was told by a mutual friend that he is not microchipped.

The reason given by the BYB was they were too small for the needle. Pup is now aprox 9 weeks, pretty sure the others have gone to homes.

Will my friend have a problem when she goes for the next vaccination (that is if puppy has even had it's first

Our vet will vaccinate pups that are not chipped. I know this because I get pups vaccinated when required eg 6 weeks etc. but do not chip the pups until the are sold.

As for size I wouldn't buy that one. The needle for chipping isn't that much bigger than a vacc needle.

Probably won't have a problem with the vet unless they have a system that uses the chip number to identify the dogs records (Doubt it though).

However I am of the same feeling as SBT123 on this. It is a legal requirement that any pup changing ownership (in NSW) must be chipped and it seems to me that the person that sold the pup just didn't want to do it as it would have cost them money. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been vaccinated for the same reason (cost the breeder money). Again this is why I am against BYB as many of them are only concerned with what it costs compared to what they get back.

A friend against all my advice and all the links and literature I could offer has bought a cross Pom/Shih Tzu. :)

Our vet will vaccinate pups that are not chipped. I know this because I get pups vaccinated when required eg 6 weeks etc. but do not chip the pups until the are sold.

As for size I wouldn't buy that one. The needle for chipping isn't that much bigger than a vacc needle.

Probably won't have a problem with the vet unless they have a system that uses the chip number to identify the dogs records (Doubt it though).

However I am of the same feeling as SBT123 on this. It is a legal requirement that any pup changing ownership (in NSW) must be chipped and it seems to me that the person that sold the pup just didn't want to do it as it would have cost them money. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been vaccinated for the same reason (cost the breeder money). Again this is why I am against BYB as many of them are only concerned with what it costs compared to what they get back.

If size is the excuse for not chipping, then the puppy is too small to be leaving the breeder and the breeder should be hanging onto the puppy until it reaches a size that they think is appropriate for chipping.

No breeder in NSW should be allowing any puppy or dog to change hands without first being chipped, if it's big enough to rehome, it's big enough to chip.