Immune Mediated Polyarthritis

Otesha

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has had experience with Immune Mediated Polyarthritis.

A friend's young 14month old pup was diagnosed a few months ago. The vet has put her on cortisone, but it doesnt look like its working to me. She seems to be very sore still.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced it... what medication was used, how long the recovery took, was it ever a full recovery, if it re-occurred was it more or less severe.

There are a lot of websites but none really give time frames or anything, so I assume that all cases are different, so it would be good to hear what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

Edited by Otesha

Have a search in this health forum as I previously had a thread here about it.

My boy was diagnosed with this. His main external sign was a swollen hock. We did cortisone and then imuran in conjunction as the cortisone did not do as was hoped and force it into remission.

We managed it for 8 months on those 2 drugs - varying doses depending on how he was going. There were some minor side effects from the drugs such as muscle wastage). It never really improved as such, I think it was just managed.

He just seemed to crash and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis which was from the drugs. To treat this we had to stop the cortisone. Blood tests showed that he had also developed (or drugs had disguised) IMHA.

He had too many battles to fight and I did the kindest thing I could for him - he was 22 months.

Your friends have my sympathies that they have a pup with this - immune mediated diseases are not straight forward and can be quite draining for the owners - my life revolved around my boy, making sure he got his medication, monitoring his hock etc.

I recommend a Yahoo group called CIMDA - its a UK group but has good support and information.

Hi Otesha,

We currently have a lovely Golden Retriever patient who is making a great recovery from IMPA. His flared up a week or so following a vaccination and he has been treated with Cortisone.

It's been about 4 months now since diagnosis and his cortisone dose will be ceased within the next week or two - so far so good and no sign of relapse.

He has suffered some terrible side effects from the cortisone - muscle wastage being one, but probably one of the worst has been the calcinosis cutis, where calcium deposits are formed in the skin.

Wishing goodluck to your friend's dog

My IMHA dog developed immune mediated poly arthritis as he was recoverying frm the IMHA. The vet seemed to think it was all part of the same immune-related 'package' in his case. He did get over it.

Hi Otesha,

We currently have a lovely Golden Retriever patient who is making a great recovery from IMPA. His flared up a week or so following a vaccination and he has been treated with Cortisone.

It's been about 4 months now since diagnosis and his cortisone dose will be ceased within the next week or two - so far so good and no sign of relapse.

He has suffered some terrible side effects from the cortisone - muscle wastage being one, but probably one of the worst has been the calcinosis cutis, where calcium deposits are formed in the skin.

Wishing goodluck to your friend's dog

I am glad you guys have been successful with this boy.

Hi guys,

Danois... I found your thread. How terribly sad. The research I have found on the net seems to indicate anything from full receovery to constant bouts throughout their lifetime... so I guess I'm trying to determine other peoples experience in this regard. Although there is a lot of experience... like everything it is vague and doesnt really tell you the stats on outcomes.

Stormie, I would love to heard how your Golden goes with recovery.

Diva, how long did your guy/girl take to recover?

Regards

Michelle

Diva, how long did your guy/girl take to recover?

He suffered from it on and off for a couple of months. He was on a lot of cortisone for IMHA at the time. He pulled through it all only to pass from a hemangiosarcoma on the heart a couple of years later.

It's awful watching them suffer from it.