Training Club Recommends

The new owners of a rescue Saluki I had been fostering have expressed interest in taking him and their other Saluki to obedience training classes.

They live in the Werribee area.

Both dogs are soft dogs from what I have observed without any major "issues". I would be especially interested to hear from people who have successfully trained "challenging to train" breeds with positive methods at any clubs in that area.

Thanks

The new owners of a rescue Saluki I had been fostering have expressed interest in taking him and their other Saluki to obedience training classes.

They live in the Werribee area.

Both dogs are soft dogs from what I have observed without any major "issues". I would be especially interested to hear from people who have successfully trained "challenging to train" breeds with positive methods at any clubs in that area.

Thanks

As far as soft AND challenging I can't say I've done it. But I trained my 'challenging' Dobermann at Werribee Obedience Dog Club and I now train my 'super soft' Collie at the same place. The club have always been good and I have noticed a distinct change to positive training approaches since I trained my Dobe there (16 years ago) to now. They are also very helpful and open to many training styles, eg. if you want to train your dog in a harness or a halti, that's fine, they will adapt.

I'd recommend they contact them.

Thanks

Not really answering your question, SSM, but to me "super soft" means that anything I might use in the way of non-positive needs only to be done in very low intensity by comparison to others. For example, some dogs I can give a verbal but strong "Aaagh!". Yet if I did that with Kal (bless her cotton socks), that strength would have her shaking in her boots, so for her, all I needed was a softer "ahah". For my current boy, that "ahah" is his NRM.

If I was to use a physical correction, there are some dogs where it needs to be well placed and sharp/quick. There are others where "sharp" would comprise almost of applying the correction via the lead using a finger, rather than a wrist or elbow.

Lots of positive goes without saying, IMO, though.

But if your goal is to train these dogs without the use of any aversive at all, then IMO your success is going to depend on whether anything in the environment ever proves to be more interesting to have the dogs refuse the positive for the sake of the higher positive they might derive by doing something different than what is required by you at the time.