Puppy Questions

kated

Hello

I recently purchase a border collie boy named Busta, he turned 12 weeks today. I feel like I'm turning into an obsessive mother (what is he chewing? does he have a tummy ache? Should he eat that?) so any hints, tips or stories to share would be most appreciated!

Few questions I have atm

• We have been trying to take him outside the fence for short little walks but as soon as he passes the gate he stops and wants to go straight back inside. We've tried treats but he pants and squirms a lot, which seems to me he is rather stressed. Anyone else had something similar?
  • He play bites alot, we are trying to teach him "no" while gently holding his muzzle closed. Best way to get the message across?
  • The previous 2 border collies I grew up with were very much about routine, if you changed anything they got a bit strange. Is this normal for the breed? My partner is away for work this week and he has been a bit off his food
  • We bought a pen for him to sleep in at night upstairs. He hardly whinged when he was in it but the past few days whenever he gets put in there he cries and doesn't even want to eat his food, could this be a little bit of separtion anixety?
  • Yesterday when I got home he has white liquid at the end of his thing, is this normal for a pup his age?!?! I searched high and low and couldn't see anything where it would come from. Urine looks normal.

I can't wait til he gets his final shots so we can take him to the park, soo much energy that boy needs to burn!

Hi kated, welcome and congrats on your little boy!

I know what you mean about the obsessive mother, I often find myself sticking my fingers in Saxon's mouth to check out what he's chewing on, in case it's dangerous :laugh:

I'm definitely no expert and I'm sure others will have more info for you but I'll give you my two cents.

Re. your first questions: is there anything outside the gate he could be scared of? Other dogs/cats/birds/cars/noisy machines? Is there another way you could take him outside (front door/back gate), to check if it is something specific to the gate area? If he's ok going another way maybe you can then work on building his confidence around the gate you want to take him out of. Otherwise, maybe you could try putting him on a long leash and letting him stay inside the gate if he wants, while it's open, and you and your partner go out and pretend to be playing and having lots of fun but basically ignoring him (you might look a bit silly :o ) and see if he'll come out to you, then lots of praise and treats... that's all I've got on that one.

Re. biting - so know what you mean! Sax was a little terror. I found the most effective thing was for me to give a high-pitched help any time he bit then stand up and turn my back on him for a few moments. It took quite a while for him to get the message but he's much better now. There are lots of other methods that work for people though so if you think what you're doing is working I'd stick with it rather than switching around - like with all training, consistency works!

Re. the whinging when he's in his pen - you could be right and he's missing your partner. Or he could have figured out that if he cries he gets attention and doesn't have to stay alone in his pen. See what those more knowledgable than me say on this.

And the white stuff on his "thing" :( I'll leave that one to the experts too!

Thanks so much for your response!

I think youve made some great points, and I definitely will try the long leash and the gate. The biting issue - tried high pitched yelp tonight, got a puzzled look! So might have been successful! Will keep it up.

Thanks for your help :laugh:

Hi Kated

At 12 weeks your puppy is entering his fear period. Most probably this is what is causing him to freeze outside the gate. You need alot of reassurance and encouragment. What does he do if you pick him up and play with him a little outside the fence in your arms and then put him down?? Of course there is always the "imaginary monster" that might jump out of the bushes and scare him!! ;)

The biting thing is normal - keep perservering. One day it will click to him that he is not allowed to do it.

Feeding/crate - he may well be missing your other half but also he probably knows he is getting your attention so unless he is not well you just need to ignore him. A well puppy wont starve themselves.

I just bought a new border (10 weeks) and she is not the biggest eater in the world but she is gaining weight and has a lot of energy and looks healthy so she is getting all she needs. What are you feeding him?