Puppy Poopy Very Gooey

msn

Hi all,

I have a 10 month old Lhasa Apso. Since the past week every alternate day he’s been pooping in the house after meals (He has a spot in the balcony where he poops if it’s in between his morning and evening walks, so that’s good). His poop at this time is very watery and mucusy. Not sure what’s causing this as we’ve been feeding him his usual Purina Proplan with boiled chicken or maybe some bacon. This has happened every other day since the past week and now I’m getting worried. Mind you his poop is absolutely normal when he goes for his walks in the morning and evening. It's just this in between strange thing that's happening.

First I thought maybe it’s just something he’s eaten but now, I’m really not sure. Any ideas on what this could be? I’ll be taking him to the vet soon but just thought I’d check to see if I can get any useful suggestions before I get a 100$ bill in my hand!

Thanks much!

Edited by msn

Dogs shouldn't be fed bacon or other cured meats!!!!!!!!!

I'd be taking him off the dry food, feed him bland food for a day and see if that helps. Is he drinking normally? Is there any blood in the mucousy stool? Is he vomiting? Does he seem otherwise unwell?

I'd be taking him off the dry food, feed him bland food for a day and see if that helps. Is he drinking normally? Is there any blood in the mucousy stool? Is he vomiting? Does he seem otherwise unwell?

He is fine. playing around and jumping around normally. not pucking, drinking nromally and there is no blood in the stool.

i thought it could have been the bacon once but it happened again when there was no bacon so I'm not sure what's triggering it?

He is fine. playing around and jumping around normally. not pucking, drinking nromally and there is no blood in the stool.

i thought it could have been the bacon once but it happened again when there was no bacon so I'm not sure what's triggering it?

Sometimes a "reaction" doesn't always occur at the time...it can take hours, days or sometimes even weeks to appear which is what makes the detection all the more difficult.

I'd still get him off the dry food, give him boiled chicken and rice or an equivalent bland food and get him back to basics. If he is still doing the same mucousy poo in a day or so, then it could be an infection or virus that may need antibiotic treatment.

I agree with chicken and rice but some dogs don't like rice (mine didn't) so an alternative is chicken and pumpkin.

I was feeding my pup diced pumpkin and chicken breast cooked in water and a very little salt reduced chicken stock. I just mashed them up together and left the liquid in with it - as he wasn't drinking much water at the time. He loved it.