Back Yard - How Small Is Too Small?

samoyedman

My dog is penned unless I am in the backyard with her as she is a notorious fence jumper, her pen is smaller than the yard you described, she is walked daily and she is one of the fittest dogs I have ever met!

My other dogs who aren't penned barely use any of the yard for most of the day, they just lay about until they decided it is time to chase each other.

I have a small yard about the size you are considering and i have two chooks and 7 rabbits living out there as well as my dog during the day when i'm out. It's not the size its how you use it :mad my dog has toy rotation (so do the rabbits) including self rewarding toys like buster cubes etc we used to have a large yard and when we moved I was worried about how the animals would cope, however i have learned that size does not matter when it comes to yardsas long as they are fun. I mean would you be happier sitting in a large bare room or a small room with a heap of books and a t.v. etc?

oh and walks etc are always important regardless of the size of the yard

Guest Tess32

I moved from a very large yard, to a tiny yard, but I don't think it bothers Noah. But he gets 2 walks a day and daily run. Without those, I think he'd go a little nutso.

My Australian Shepherd lived with me in a townhouse with a small courtyard only,a house with a tennis court and large garden, and a farm. She beahved the same in all three. Even when she did have a larger area, if we were out she would sit by the door waiting for us, so she didn't really make much use of the space.

I have also known a very well adjusted and happy Great Dane who lived in an apartment.

It is company and exercise that makes dogs happy, not the size of the yard.

Guest belgian.blue

Ivy has a large yard at the moment but it is really only used to crazy zoomies when I get home, toileting right up the back and running around like a nutter with toys.

She normally sleeps when I'm away. Or my housemate lets her in the house and she sleeps in my bed :laugh:

Though the space will be handy when the pup arrives!

I'm sure Ivy would thrive in a smaller yard with no problems at all.

Hi Samoyedman,

My Sammie is confined to a part of the yard about the size you mentioned anytime we are out. We both work full time. It's never been as issue, I honestly think she does nothing all day, and saves her energy for when we get home!

She never barks, and hasn't even dug a hole since she was about 18 m.o.

It sounds as though your Sam gets a lot of exercise and mental stimulation when you are around, so I don't imagine this size yard would be a problem.

:(