Charlies Health

SeeGee

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to develop a bit of a complex about Charlies health.

He has eye gunk. I wipe it away with cold black tea and it seems to soothe him. It doesnt stop it coming back though.

He seems to be prone to ear infections - which get vet treated.

Ive started noticing Charlie scratching at his mouth, and he shakes his head a fair bit. I know the shaking can be attributed to his ears.

Charlie gets bathed in Aloveen once every 3 weeks or so by Alan, our hydrobath guy. Sometimes if he has gone and gotten really dirty I will give him one in between, again only with aloveen.

He eats mainly raw, necks, hearts, tail etc. Has preservitive free liver treats. Our vet has said that he has sensitive skin, lots of pink bits. We have a sensitve skin suncream for him. vet also says he has a bit of hayfever type thing.

I want to get this right for him. I want to do the right thing for him :hug:

Where am I going wrong?

Eye boogas are pretty normal for a lot of dogs. As long as it's not yellow or green (signs of infection) and his eyes aren't inflamed, don't worry.

What you could look at is ways to boost his immune system. Adding something like Vitamin C or gojiberry powder to his diet may help. A small amount of apple cider vinegar can also be useful.

When you say he eats "mainly raw" what else does he get.

If you're really concerned you could take him to see a holistic vet. Most of what you're describing sounds like a slightly depressed immune system in action.

We still have some proplan puppy kibble that every now and again we feed him as treats (ie.throw the kibble on the ground and he runs and finds it.)

I have bought some apple cider vinegar and starting to put it in his water once a day. (thanks DOL!)

His eye gunk has been green once, then i started with the tea and its not been green again. (thank DOL!)

We still have some proplan puppy kibble that every now and again we feed him as treats (ie.throw the kibble on the ground and he runs and finds it.)

I have bought some apple cider vinegar and starting to put it in his water once a day. (thanks DOL!)

His eye gunk has been green once, then i started with the tea and its not been green again. (thank DOL!)

Can you spell out his diet in detail for me. Are you feeding BARF or prey model? What offal do you feed. Do you feed any supplements.

Rotation of, in 2 meals a day for example - bfast - 1 chicken wing, dinner - lamb heart

ALL RAW

Lamb heart

chicken neck chicken wing

beef tail (bashed)

liver

mince mixed with vegetables

bone to chew

yogurt with honey, flaxseed/omega 3, once a day (only just started doing this daily)

Apple cider vinegar (only just started this daily)

Preservitive free liver treats for treats

olive oil or rice oil.

I also give sardines in spring water.

Neither of those oils are good sources of Omega 3 or 6 EFAs Jacquilee.

I'd suggest you supplement with fish and flaxseed oil in rotation. Eggs would also be a useful source of EFAs, especially those where the hens have received EFA supplements.

ETA: I use a human grade EFA blend called "Megaoil". You get it in the fridge at health food stores.

Edited by poodlefan