Will Dogs Still Scratch A Little After Fleas Are Gone?

We've just had a bit of a flea scare on Taz and we're still monitoring him closely. He's perked up significantly from 2 days ago (when we've just discovered signs of the little buggers) and doesn't look so miserable anymore. We're in the process of vacuuming and re-vacuuming the entire place and have arranged for carpets to be steam cleaned (was due for one anyway) next week to get rid of any flea eggs and larvae remaining.

Now Taz is still scratching occasionally, but not as much as during the peak of his experience with fleas but still more that usual. Is this normal and will the scratching die down eventually? Thanks

The flea bite is what leaves the irritation so yes, even after fleas are evacuated, your dog may scratch. Now that the cause is gone, there's every chance the itching will recede, however there is the possibility of secondary skin infection.

If you give him a "nurse's wash" with Calendula Tea, this will in all liklihood help with soothing the irritated skin and solving the possibility of secondary skin infection. If it is doing its job, you should see an improvement in his skin (and scatching) inside 24 hours (going by my own experience and also from what others have reported).

I'm told that if a dog is allergic to pollens, it is possible he/she might react to the Calendula Tea (which is dried marigold flowers). However I have not had anything other than success with the Calendula Tea wash and others who have taken this tip up (DOL members) have also reported success. I've not had anyone come back to me to suggest it made it worse.