Introducing A New Pup To The Pack

Snout Girl

Hi everyone and Happy Easter!

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any good threads regarding introducing a new puppy to an existing pack (I'm sure it has been done before but I have been unable to locate any).

Also, does anyone know of any good books on the topic that I could read?

We're not looking at adding another member to the pack for another year-15 months but I want to be organised and prepared :cry:

again, I think someone asked a few weeks ago, but how soon is too soon to put your name down with a breeder? I have 2 or 3 breeders that I am looking at but dont want to ask them to be put on their waiting list if it is way too soon :angel:

Thanks for reading

BnS

ETA: I'm aware of the need for a permit for 3 dogs, have been looking into all that very closely so am aware of what we need to do :(

Edited by bertandsally

Heyo,

What we did was go to an off leash park (somewhere where the dogs are totally unfamiliar with their surroundings). So I had the new dog waiting and got my mum to get the other dogs for a run. They got along pretty well in the park and we just watched them for one hour. It was really good successful since they enjoyed themselves and there wasn't much fighting afterwards. I did one time, just bring a new puppy home and there was just too much distress between the two dogs. Going to a unfamiliar surrounding was a lot better plan.

It isnt too early to put your name down with your Breeders of Choice. It is the chance to keep in touch with them and keep an eye on their pups. Just make sure you let them know how you are placed anytime they have a litter due.