Pool Problems!

We're having trouble with our 2 mixed bred dogs and our spa. Our heeler X is obsessed with the gaps around the edges from where the pavers don't fit right, because he remembers finding lizards under there. That had caught on with my BC X who's not actually sure why it's exciting, but is determined to 'win' the race to sniff the spots. It's got to the point where the BC X will race from across the yard if she thinks you're going near the gate of the pool yard, and today it ended it tears. High excitement = dog fight. I try to keep my energy low and calm when opening the gate, and will wait for them (her mainly) to calm down before I open it. But she'll calm down until the gate moves.

They're both getting an hour + walk a day. I've tried peppering the gaps but it doesn't worry her because she's not really sniffing, just copying what our other dog does. Keeping them inside while the pool is being used results in barking. Once I'm actually in the pool they're fine, it's just the gate thing.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

We're having trouble with our 2 mixed bred dogs and our spa. Our heeler X is obsessed with the gaps around the edges from where the pavers don't fit right, because he remembers finding lizards under there. That had caught on with my BC X who's not actually sure why it's exciting, but is determined to 'win' the race to sniff the spots. It's got to the point where the BC X will race from across the yard if she thinks you're going near the gate of the pool yard, and today it ended it tears. High excitement = dog fight. I try to keep my energy low and calm when opening the gate, and will wait for them (her mainly) to calm down before I open it. But she'll calm down until the gate moves.

They're both getting an hour + walk a day. I've tried peppering the gaps but it doesn't worry her because she's not really sniffing, just copying what our other dog does. Keeping them inside while the pool is being used results in barking. Once I'm actually in the pool they're fine, it's just the gate thing.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

As no one has answered your query let me try.

It seems even though the dog wants to get inside ..its the gate that excites them as they know they can get in.

A quick simple fix is one of those 12 volt electric fences where the dogs wear the reciever collar.You may only have to run the wire across the ground in front of the fence.Not the whole yard. Both will soon learn...

Better than dog fights especially your OWN

I seperate my two during the day when I am not home to supervise them ... when it comes to opening the gate between the two of them they go nuts.

I started by standing and waiting until both had calmed a little and then told them to sit and wait. I then open the gate a fraction ... if either move the gate is closed and I wait until they sit again. Each time I open the gate a little more and if they move from the sit the gate is closed again. If they are completely nuts then I have sometimes walked away and come back when they are a little calmer.

I can take absolutely ages some time to get the gate open but both have quickly learnt they need to be sitting calmly before the gate is opened and they are not to move until I give them a release. I use the same for doors etc.

I can now open doors and gates without the dogs needing to rush through ...