Licked Wound Turned To Ulcer

The top of Pete's paw got nicked when it was being groomed last wednesday, the lady put some stuff on it and that was fine. He's been licking it heaps but was all good, he's had little nicks before that have heeled up fine. Today he has been limping, and I looked at the sore and it now looks like a crator, like it's quite deep (under a cm) and looks like an ulcer I think.

I am keeping a close eye on him and not letting him lick, he's not moving around much I figure he must be in some pain, and I soaked his paw in warm salty water (thought that was the safest bet).

He's booked in to the vet in 2 hours but I'm worried about him, has anyone had any experience with this in the past? I can add a photo but its pretty gross

Edited by Pete.the.dog

Poor Pete!

No, I've never been through that but it does sound painful (and gross).

Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it till the vet.

I know I feel so bad for him, hope this doesn't turn into one of those horrible 'should have done something sooner' things :D

Poor Pete!

No, I've never been through that but it does sound painful (and gross).

Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it till the vet.

I know I feel so bad for him, hope this doesn't turn into one of those horrible 'should have done something sooner' things :D

I doubt it Pete. If his foot hasn't fallen off yet don't panic. :cheer:

It's probably a local infection exacerbated by licking. See what the vet says.

Ah yep, we deal with those quite often. They become lick granulomas sometimes. Orbit has sensitive skin and whenever he'd been clipped, had an IV put in, or any little nicks on his legs, he licks and licks at them and turns them into dirty great big infected ulcer type things.

It could have started because the wound got infected and he was licking at it, or he could have been licking at it simply because it was a wound and now infected it.

They say too, that with things like that, when they lick them the brain releases endorphins, so it can become a habit to keep licking because it makes them feel good!

I doubt it Pete. If his foot hasn't fallen off yet don't panic. :cheer:

It's probably a local infection exacerbated by licking. See what the vet says.

Thanks, I hope so! An hour and a half of worrying to go :p :D

Ah yep, we deal with those quite often. They become lick granulomas sometimes. Orbit has sensitive skin and whenever he'd been clipped, had an IV put in, or any little nicks on his legs, he licks and licks at them and turns them into dirty great big infected ulcer type things.

It could have started because the wound got infected and he was licking at it, or he could have been licking at it simply because it was a wound and now infected it.

They say too, that with things like that, when they lick them the brain releases endorphins, so it can become a habit to keep licking because it makes them feel good!

Yeah not sure if it was the chicken or the egg in this case. What is the treatment for them stormie?

Vet wasn't concerned. He said there is a bit of infection there, gave me antibotics for him to take, and said he wasn't going to bother bandaging it cause Pete would just take it off and fresh air is probably going to be good for it :D

He said to get one of those head things if his licking is too much, but it should heal up fine

Thanks everyone :thumbsup: