An Incident At The River Today

newfsie

we went for our usual Friday walk this morning. When we arrived at the River we saw a couple of campsites (School vacation in Aust). No worries to us, so we let the dogs out a little away from the first campsite.............We hear this panicked screaming and a barking aggressive dog and this woman is in panic mode trying to catch her dog. We just called our three (whilst she is still screaming).They were a little surprised to be called so soon and had totally ignored the commotion from the other dog.We put them on leashes and left the Jeep and walked the dogs on the road to another part of the river. we found a great new spot to swim Katy, but no pics, because the jeep was still at the other spot. Mike went and got the Jeep, whilst I kept the dogs swimming at the new spot. She was thanking Mike profusely when he picked up the Jeep and drove it to us, so that she did not have to scream at her dog again, whilst we walked past :rofl: We met another guy just walking (no dog) and he said the dog had a go at him too

On the way past her camp, I noticed a "beware of the dog" sign on her car.......Funny place to take an uncontrollable aggressive dog, sad really.

It is an off leash area, even though very few people go there, because it is a little out of the way. We hardly ever meet any dogs there.

I was just amazed that she did not get control of her dog whilst we were driving up, if the dog was so unhappy about meeting people or dogs.

Police paddocks near Rutherglen.

I have no issues with aggressive dogs, but if it had been me, I would have leashed my dog as soon as I saw a car come. there is a long way in and you cannot miss the few cars that come in.

I used to have a dog/people aggressive dog, so i have plenty of empathy

I haven't been out that far, how fast does the river run there? I have no wish to be fishing for GSDs.

Lots of empathy but no sympathy. If you know your dog is aggressive you shouldn't put it in a situation where it can practise aggression. Glad you were alright though.

I have had in the past a very agro people aggressive dog, that came on 4WDing trips and other assorted excursions, but he was always ALWAYS caged on the back of the ute, or leashed and muzzled when he was out of the cage. I also made sure any travelling companions or nearby campers knew that he wasn't friendly and to leave him alone. He used to have a ball!

The silly woman that you encountered should have had her dog on a leash, off-leash area or not >_<

I haven't been out that far, how fast does the river run there? I have no wish to be fishing for GSDs.

Lots of empathy but no sympathy. If you know your dog is aggressive you shouldn't put it in a situation where it can practise aggression. Glad you were alright though.

The river runs quite steady, but my newf pup has no problems swimming it. She is a great swimmer, a real water baby. It is a lovely place, so pretty and clean........

2440916890048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

2281054080048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

2740511830048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful spot.

I would love to let my goldie go swimming, but dont trust her recall at all :laugh: who know where she would end up trying to get cuddles.

But, yeah, definately the dog should have been on a long lead and muzzled if out and about, totally irresponible otherwise with others comming.

Lovely pics. Did you see Bear the shep on the front page of the border? He is one if ours from the club. Anyhow, I look at the top pic and think snakes but I'm a big city woos still

That is why we never go for walks in Summer or Spring over there and we wait for after the easter break, hopefully they have gone in hiding.

So were you at Paws in the Park? We had a lot of fun there. We were in the middle of all the GSD's, Annabelle did some obedience

What a shame about that. The place looks absoloutly stunning :heart: . I have 2 staffies and the elder one is dog aggressive :) . She has never ever bitten another dog but she sure does make alot of noise. Its a weird situation with my girl. I have taken her to obediance twice a week since she was 3 months old. She only likes the dogs that were in her class then and she has known since a beng a pup. All other new dogs she just goes. When I say goes I mean if they come into her personal space. I train her in agility now and we work off lead all the time around a large group of dogs. She would never run up to a dog and attack it she just doesnt like it when they come up to her. So when Im walking her at the off leash area I am always on guard, She is off leash but she has a great recall and if I see any other dogs I put her straight back on the lead. The problem I have is that people let their dogs come bounding up without asking weather my dogs are friendly or not (and while im looking worried they are saying "my dogs fine she wont hurt you" and Im saying "its not your dog Im worried about!") As one of the other comments said we derserve our outing too but I definatly agree with you when you said she should have had controll of her dog when she saw you driving up. I understand what my girl is like and I avoid at all costs putting her in the situation where she will get cranky. It sadens me that there are owners out there that are not responsible. My dogs love people but even then, if someone is going to walk past, they are on the lead again because they want to say hello to everyone and not everyone wants to say hello to them :eek: your dogs are gorgeous and its nice that they can swim! mine need life jackets as they paddle their little hearts out but just sink slowly :mad I take them Kyaking with me and my partner which they love and everyone loves watching them cuz they stand right up the front with they wind in their face with their little life jackets on :mad so cute

What a shame about that. The place looks absoloutly stunning :heart: . I have 2 staffies and the elder one is dog aggressive :mad . She has never ever bitten another dog but she sure does make alot of noise. Its a weird situation with my girl. I have taken her to obediance twice a week since she was 3 months old. She only likes the dogs that were in her class then and she has known since a beng a pup. All other new dogs she just goes. When I say goes I mean if they come into her personal space. I train her in agility now and we work off lead all the time around a large group of dogs. She would never run up to a dog and attack it she just doesnt like it when they come up to her. So when Im walking her at the off leash area I am always on guard, She is off leash but she has a great recall and if I see any other dogs I put her straight back on the lead. The problem I have is that people let their dogs come bounding up without asking weather my dogs are friendly or not (and while im looking worried they are saying "my dogs fine she wont hurt you" and Im saying "its not your dog Im worried about!") As one of the other comments said we derserve our outing too but I definatly agree with you when you said she should have had controll of her dog when she saw you driving up. I understand what my girl is like and I avoid at all costs putting her in the situation where she will get cranky. It sadens me that there are owners out there that are not responsible. My dogs love people but even then, if someone is going to walk past, they are on the lead again because they want to say hello to everyone and not everyone wants to say hello to them :eek: your dogs are gorgeous and its nice that they can swim! mine need life jackets as they paddle their little hearts out but just sink slowly :mad I take them Kyaking with me and my partner which they love and everyone loves watching them cuz they stand right up the front with they wind in their face with their little life jackets on :mad so cute

You are exactly correct like others in saying that she should have had control of her dog. I also have a dog that can be D.A and it isn't easy when everyones else thinks it's ok to allow their pooches to bolt up & say hi..

Photos pleeeeease of the sinking paddlers :)

I was there...and I talked to you...LOL

I took Rufus and Shiloh for a swim today down behind the causeway - the river is really good there and we went to the farmers market after, always a bonus!

You'd probably recognise him in this photo

doof2.jpg

:heart::eek::mad Yes I do know your dogs, I should have noticed the Rufus bit