Would It Be Safe To Take My Puppy Outside My Backyard

quickbrownfox

OK so I won't be getting a puppy for another 2 months, but this thought has bothered me for a while and I would like some answers.

My OH and I moved into a rental house in February with a big backyard perfect for a dog. Little did I know that the previous tenants neglected to pick up their dogs droppings at all before they moved out and it was scattered all over the yard. I've done my best to pick them all up (what a lovely job that was) and the land has been leveled out. This week we are planning to grow grass back in there.

I was wondering whether I should be worried to take the puppy out in the yard when we bring him home at 8 weeks to toilet train him, as I don't want him to pick up any diseases from the previous dogs. Not many animals come into the yard (due to tall fences and secured gates) except for willy wagtails and sometimes the neighbour's ginger cat (to prey on said wagtails.)

Hi, if there has been a dog in the yard who has had parvo, your yard will not be safe for an unvaccinated puppy for a long time. I have heard many different opinions on how long, but I believe the consensus is around 12 months. As you do not know whether your yard is safe or not, I would not be bringing an unvaccinated puppy home. If there is parvo in your soil there is even a risk that just by walking in the yard then inside you could be carrying the virus into the house on your shoes.

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to get a pup, however I KNEW there had been parvo in my yard as I had had two little rescue pups who died of it. I got my own puppy about 9 months later, however I did not bring her home from the breeders until she had had ALL her puppy shots and then we waited two weeks after the last one to make sure it had kicked in. So I did not bring her home until she was around 14 weeks old. When I explained the situation the breeder was happy to hold on to her for me. You could ask your breeder to do this.

If you are wanting to get a rescue dog, you could also ask the rescue group if they could hold your puppy long enough to ensure that the vaccination is effective.

Edited by Daisy

Hi, if there has been a dog in the yard who has had parvo, your yard will not be safe for an unvaccinated puppy for a long time. I have heard many different opinions on how long, but I believe the consensus is around 12 months. As you do not know whether your yard is safe or not, I would not be bringing an unvaccinated puppy home. If there is parvo in your soil there is even a risk that just by walking in the yard then inside you could be carrying the virus into the house on your shoes.

I was in a similar situation when I wanted to get a pup, however I KNEW there had been parvo in my yard as I had had two little rescue pups who died of it. I got my own puppy about 9 months later, however I did not bring her home from the breeders until she had had ALL her puppy shots and then we waited two weeks after the last one to make sure it had kicked in. So I did not bring her home until she was around 14 weeks old. When I explained the situation the breeder was happy to hold on to her for me. You could ask your breeder to do this.

If you are wanting to get a rescue dog, you could also ask the rescue group if they could hold your puppy long enough to ensure that the vaccination is effective.

Thank you so much for replying. I have no idea if the previous tenant's dogs had parvo (they were apparently inside dogs too so I'm even more worried!!)

I think I'm going to email the breeder for her opinion and ask to hold onto the pup, as I'm happy to wait a little longer and not willing to take that risk.