Cranberry Tablet's

Cranberry creates a hostile environment for the bacteria to survive in the bladder.

I've always had all my girls on Cranberry and after reading the other thread, have now put my boy on it also. None of them have ever had a UTI.

My Rotty girl (R.I.P) who would now be 9 yrs 5 months old had a UTI at 3 months of age. Since then I've been using Cranberry without any of the dogs having a UTI. The Rotty girl never had another one either.

Guest belgian.blue

Speaking of UTI's .. how do you know a dog actually has one? What are the signs? I'm curious and so I know what to look out for.

I'm going to start my two on cranberry in the very near future.

Speaking of UTI's .. how do you know a dog actually has one? What are the signs? I'm curious and so I know what to look out for.

I'm going to start my two on cranberry in the very near future.

Yes I would be interested in any info on this too please.

Frequent small volume peeing is usually the first sign of a UTI. Also in house trained dogs you may find a small puddle or two inside the house. Straining to urinate is a sure sign of a UTI and antibiotics are needed. UTI's are painful.

If a dog is urinating small amounts frequently, best to collect a specimen in a clean container to the vet for urinalysis. I pour boiling water into the container and the lid, empty them without touching the inside of the lid or the container and then air dry them.

That way you have a relatively sterile container to collect the urine specimen. It's also best to take a freshly collected specimen to the vet.

Cranberry juice works just as well as tablets and the dogs love it.

Cooked Barley is also great for dogs that suffer from UTI's. Since having a dog with bladder problems I always use barley as my main carbohydrate source for the dogs. They are happy to eat it and it is the grain most easily digested by dogs. Mine get a small amount each day with their veges. Other than that I feed all raw.

Frequent small volume peeing is usually the first sign of a UTI. Also in house trained dogs you may find a small puddle or two inside the house. Straining to urinate is a sure sign of a UTI and antibiotics are needed. UTI's are painful.

If a dog is urinating small amounts frequently, best to collect a specimen in a clean container to the vet for urinalysis. I pour boiling water into the container and the lid, empty them without touching the inside of the lid or the container and then air dry them.

That way you have a relatively sterile container to collect the urine specimen. It's also best to take a freshly collected specimen to the vet.

Thanks cavNrott.

You're welcome Lindyx. I'm going to give the dried cranberries a try. I believe you can get them at the supermarket.

Ohhh.....I could give them as treat's even :bottom:

I give my sib's dried cranberries while I'm training them at the end of class or I cook them in a mint and cranberry biscuit.

How many tablets do you give and how frequent?

We have a girl that suffers with UTI from time to time and this sounds as though it would be a massive help.

It depends on the weight of the dog. My Rottweiler gets 1 x 5000mg tablet with both her morning and evening meal. She weighs around 42kg. If she was prone to UTI's, which she isn't (she's never had one) I'd add in another 5000mg tablet.

My Cavaliers are around 10Kg. One a little under and one a little over. They get 1 x 5000mg tablet with their evening meal. Neither of them have ever had a UTI. I give them cranberry as a preventative.