Weight Gain Supplements

yup tats been my reluctance with satin balls. I am sure he would love to try goats milk hadnt thought of that. He stole two things this week - porridge from alexs chair and alex dropped a piece of his home made pizza with sweet potato prawns and baby bocconcini - both very appetising apparently :thumbsup:

heya guys

Le brat (toby our 1 yr old havanese) went to the vet today. a whole kg lighter than this time 6 weeks ago.

He has royal canin beauty and a little ep puppy coz thats what jazz is on :hug: Never been a huge eater except for raw necks ect.

So what to do. He feels ribby and I want him to gain his weight back. He is active and otherwise heathly.

Suggestions?? Is there a high quality weight gain dry around?

Thanks in advance

Bec

Hi Bec,

I have the same issues with Magic. I even used nutrigel to try and get some weight on him, but it didn't help much. the best i can suggest is walks to increase his appetite, and feed him what he likes to increase the chance he will eat more of it.

Whey powder is good...very palatable and good for muscle gain.

You can add it straight or make canine smoothies with it. :( I fed it to Howard the racing Havanese for a while.

There isn't a dog in my house that will touch Nutrigel. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Gail - he runs like a madman with Jazz!! and yep been walking in the arvos he goes with charlotte and i get the impulsive naughty baby!

Right or wrong I have gone back to sme bad habits. He is having barf patties at night and then for breakfast lunch and dinner the dry food in the treat ball. it isnt ideal that he is eating from the treat ball but I did get some enthusiasm and he ate alot more today - he also entertained the puppy LOL

Whey powder you say PF - does howies headfall shimmer and shine now?

Seriously just they whey powder from the health food shop and what kind of dose? I will admit I cant look at nutrigel without thinking of my sophie in the last days of her illness. Thanks for the tip!

I dont think I will have these issues with the baby tho she is quickly catching him on the scales and isnt at all boney - she is however enjoying the new changes LOL

Whey powder you say PF - does howies headfall shimmer and shine now?

Seriously just they whey powder from the health food shop and what kind of dose? I will admit I cant look at nutrigel without thinking of my sophie in the last days of her illness. Thanks for the tip!

I had the racing Havanese on a heaped dessertspoon a day so maybe a big teaspoon for the show line Havanese? Whey has a lot of beneficial nutrients - for dogs and people. :) I added it to the dogs goatsmilk smoothies.

I'd also suggest adding some chicken wings to his diet. Most dogs love them and the skin is useful for adding some fat to the diet.

Edited by poodlefan

thanks PF and tell the racing whippet my money is on him :)

will be off to find some tomorrow that and goats milk. dear daughter heard me mention goatsmilk and decided we must have a goat......ummm....NOT :(

BTW I just buy ordinary whey powder from the health food shop. If you want him to show more interest in kibble, exercise him first and feed him late. Dogs won't starve themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update so those who help know they didnt waste their time. Late arvo walks and pork Dr B's barf patties 4 nights a week are all helping. I am still to get goats milk and whey powder. Will weigh him in the next few days but he does feel a little less ribbby. He is shiney and lovely and he is accepting that some nights kibble is all you get and his appetite and interest in food have increased ALOT. necks are back on the menu once a week too.........................................................

only once eency weency lil problem....I now have to check the babys portions ;) she could be a little MORE ribby :D :rofl: she isnt overweight yet but me thinks she will need closer watching :D

Anyways - THANKS guys :laugh: much appreciated

Getting and keeping weight on has been a challenge from the start.

I used an NZ product called Complan - a meal replacement powder which has been around for years based on milk powder which is easily tolerated (is used for invalids etc) but have now run out :laugh: I would make it up with water (per directions) and add over kibble.

I have also switched to Eagle Pack Power Formula.

Boo has always been a picky eater and would leave food constantly - sometimes fasting himself for a day. During recovery after his pexy he essentially got retrained on his eating habits (lots of small soft meals) and now he eats his 2-3 meals a day in one go and does not miss a meal and I am finally seeing the results!