My Maltese Is Getting De-sexed Tomorrow :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dog will be fine :thumbsup: Both our little boys have their nuts chopped off :thumbsup: I even got to video record Dude getting his cut off hahahahahaha.. Seriously they don't even know.. In fact it makes life easier for them.. Can you imagine being full of hormones wanting to run outside nad mate with all those girls and NOT being allowed!!! They would go crazy!! Plus de sexing reduces their chances of getting cancer etc. So you are doing the right thing by him :welcome:

Lucy's Mama I get what you mean, don't worry :thumbsup:

It can be hard for some people to separate human emotion from their animals. Obviously it's not ideal, but some find it harder than others. So, if you are having trouble separating the two, try thinking of it this way. Imagine spending your life having both sexual and maternal instincts/urges, but never being able to act on them. Ever. You're taking away those urges and making life much easier.

Try not to feel guilty. They really don't have any idea what's happening and should be pretty out of it with pain medication etc. The following day you'll barely even know anything happened to him.

What? Sounds like you just feel like some internet debate. The op had unwarranted guilty feelings about desexing her dog. I empathised with that saying I would have unwarrented guilty feeling about speying a female. I wrote

Obviously my head says it is not the same for a dog but my heart feels differently!

Now, just so we are clear, by that I meant that I know a bitch will not pine for the puppies she has never had the chance to have, but I'd feel bad anyway.

I can't explain it any better than that. I am NOT saying I wouldn't desex a female, I am NOT saying you shouldn't desex females. I am saying I would feel guilty about it regardless.

I have read many comments on this board about de-sexing, nearly all suggest it should be done unless the dog is used for breeding.

But i feel so guilty. The operation is tomorrow on Saturday 11/06/10 but all this week i have been looking at my pup (11 month old) and feeling like i am betraying him by doing this to him.

I am sure other people felt the same about doing the operation.

Please tell me how you re-assured your selves that what you are doing is not bad, and to not feel guilty.

And how quickly did your dog bounce back?

Make sure you've given it plenty of thought and don't be pushed into it or rushed in making a decision like i was. I still don't know if it was the right thing to do.

I cried like a baby, actually called OH to come home from work early when we picked Timmy up as he was so groggy. It was the fact of the surgery rather then the fact of the de-sex, he was 2kg at the time and watching his groggy little tail try to wag broke my heart as he came out of his crate at the vets.

But. They bounce back like you wouldn't believe! And the best part about dogsis they don't bear grudges! :thumbsup:

Lucy's Mama I get what you mean, don't worry :thumbsup:

It can be hard for some people to separate human emotion from their animals. Obviously it's not ideal, but some find it harder than others. So, if you are having trouble separating the two, try thinking of it this way. Imagine spending your life having both sexual and maternal instincts/urges, but never being able to act on them. Ever. You're taking away those urges and making life much easier.

Try not to feel guilty. They really don't have any idea what's happening and should be pretty out of it with pain medication etc. The following day you'll barely even know anything happened to him.

Right now he acts on his urges by humping his sleeping pillow :thumbsup:

I agree with the other poster that logically i know it won't be a problem for the dog, but in my heart i feel like i am doing something bad.

I'm not talking about the dogs emotions.

Well when you work out what you are talking about, please let us know and we can reply more appropriately :thumbsup:

I'd like to know what you're talking about as well. As you said, you cant explain it any better. Best stop now I think.

To the OP - yeah it gets a bit tough when your pooches are going under GA but as others said, they bounce back. It's OK to worry about them. Cheer yourself up by posting some photos of the little dude.

Your dog will be fine :thumbsup: Both our little boys have their nuts chopped off :welcome: I even got to video record Dude getting his cut off hahahahahaha.. Seriously they don't even know.. In fact it makes life easier for them.. Can you imagine being full of hormones wanting to run outside nad mate with all those girls and NOT being allowed!!! They would go crazy!! Plus de sexing reduces their chances of getting cancer etc. So you are doing the right thing by him :)

:thumbsup:

I have read many comments on this board about de-sexing, nearly all suggest it should be done unless the dog is used for breeding.

But i feel so guilty. The operation is tomorrow on Saturday 11/06/10 but all this week i have been looking at my pup (11 month old) and feeling like i am betraying him by doing this to him.

I am sure other people felt the same about doing the operation.

Please tell me how you re-assured your selves that what you are doing is not bad, and to not feel guilty.

And how quickly did your dog bounce back?

I loved the day my boy got his nuts chopped :thumbsup:

Right now he acts on his urges by humping his sleeping pillow :thumbsup:

I agree with the other poster that logically i know it won't be a problem for the dog, but in my heart i feel like i am doing something bad.

Humping pillows isn't neccessarily going to go away after he's desexed.

Well when you work out what you are talking about, please let us know and we can reply more appropriately :thumbsup:

I'd like to know what you're talking about as well. As you said, you cant explain it any better. Best stop now I think.

To the OP - yeah it gets a bit tough when your pooches are going under GA but as others said, they bounce back. It's OK to worry about them. Cheer yourself up by posting some photos of the little dude.

Lucy's Mama was merely just trying to say that she felt the same feelings as the OP, as being a woman, she had maternal urges, so there was a part of her that felt guilty of depriving her dog of the maternal instinct to breed. But she explained that she knew that wasn't logical and the dog didn't feel that, but didn't stop the thought entering her mind.

Sasha I understand how you feel, but also we feel guilty because we didn't get our beautiful German shepherd desexed when she was young, she died a few weeks ago because she wasn't done and because she never had a litter of pups she got pyometra, and becauseof our ignorance she probably wouldnt have died of that, she was 10 and had Lymphoma as well,our new boy a labrador was done when we went and picked him out at the AWL, so we didn't have to worry about it.

lablove

Lucy's Mama was merely just trying to say that she felt the same feelings as the OP, as being a woman, she had maternal urges, so there was a part of her that felt guilty of depriving her dog of the maternal instinct to breed. But she explained that she knew that wasn't logical and the dog didn't feel that, but didn't stop the thought entering her mind.

Still doesnt make sense. A dog doesnt think - oh noessss, I'm about to go under the knife and wont be able to have babies. Or does it? I dont know. Maybe ask the cute little latino in your siggy.

Still doesnt make sense. A dog doesnt think - oh noessss, I'm about to go under the knife and wont be able to have babies. Or does it? I dont know. Maybe ask the cute little latino in your siggy.

It isn't logical, because even if dogs did feel the same emotions as people, and have an understanding of the ramifications of sterilisation, there are plenty of females that still don't want to have kids.

Maybe instead of feeling guilty you can feel happy that your pet won't ever get saggy boobs or be annoyed by their whingy kids.

Dear Original Poster.

It'd *ok* to feel worried / guilty / sad - you're dog is going under GA and having surgery, that's daunting.

To all the knockers, lay off, poor gal is just feeling a touch upset about impending surgery on her dog, heck I felt bad when my nephew broke his elbow recently. Sure he's two and on enough kiddie panadol that he isn't feeling pain and heck, I hsrdly pushed him off the slippery dip but I *feel* awful for him. Logical? No. But that's just moi.

I'm a pound volunteer and I would estimate that over 90 percent of the dogs we get in as strays are undesexed adult dogs. It's an instinct to go looking for love. You will be doing your boy a favour by having him desexed, especially at a young age. Don't fret, he'll be over it in no time - as soon as the anaesthetic wears off!