Sore Paws

ILK

I took Jacko for an offleash walk to a different area yesterday. There was alot of cement and he spent alot of time running on it. He is used to grass. Anyway, I noticed halfway home he started to limp. I took a good look at him and it seems he has worn the large pads on his paws. They aren't bleeding or anything, It looks like busted blisters, but they are clearly sore as he is still tippy toeing today.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can put on them to ease his pain.

Edited by ILK

Are you certain these 'blisters' are just from his bout of running on concrete? If you are, then a thorough soak and cleanse with something antibacterial (I tend to use Calendula Tea for this, but some diluted iodine, betadine or a soak, cleanse and then a spray with some other antibacterial spray - colourless would be better so you don't end up with foot print stains on your floor), dry well and then a generous application of Aloe Vera Gel. I'm not a Vet - this is just something I would do with my own dog.

HERE's a link to some paw conditions (with additional links so you can do a bit of surfing) that you might want to read up on, given that we can't see the 'blisters' on Jacko's pads to know whether to be more concerned than just casual.

Edited by Erny

Are you certain these 'blisters' are just from his bout of running on concrete? If you are, then a thorough soak and cleanse with something antibacterial (I tend to use Calendula Tea for this, but some diluted iodine, betadine or a soak, cleanse and then a spray with some other antibacterial spray - colourless would be better so you don't end up with foot print stains on your floor), dry well and then a generous application of Aloe Vera Gel. I'm not a Vet - this is just something I would do with my own dog.

HERE's a link to some paw conditions (with additional links so you can do a bit of surfing) that you might want to read up on, given that we can't see the 'blisters' on Jacko's pads to know whether to be more concerned than just casual.

Thanks for the link Erny. Yeah I'm 100% sure it was the concrete. There have been times myself over the years when I have walked around with bare feet and my feet are used to wearing shoes so I have suffered the consequences later, so while I was watching him run on the concrete t I was actually thinking "this can't be good for his paws" he is very heavy footed. I've not experienced it before so I didn't think it would cause him so much pain I know now so I won't take him there again.

I have just given his feet a cotton ball swab with some warm water as I only have dettol and didn't want to use that. I have also put on some diluted iodine and he is sitting on a rug infront of me eating a bone.

He is very sore & sooky. I will definately keep an eye on it.

Manuka Honey is used a lot for wildlife injuries (instead of a dressing). It has antibacterial properties and promotes wound healing.

I am a HUGE advocate of Active Manuka Honey for many ailments, including wound dressing :cry:. Although on paws? Apart from being very sticky and leaving marks wherever Jacko walks (ants would looooove that LOL), chances are it will cause him to licking his paws.

Edited by Erny