Advice Needed For Sleeping At Night

aussielover

I've had my 10 week old lab puppy for just over 2 weeks now. She had the usual carry on the first few days after she arrived but settled down to sleeping through the night and either not crying at all or only for 1 minute after being put in bed.

she is crated in the laundary overnight

she has now started to carry on again, it can last up to an hour. she has also started to pee during the night, which she never did before.

There are a number of possible reasons why I thought this was occuring, but thought I would get other's opinions.

1. My mum came back from a holiday about 5 days ago (Mindy hadn't met her) at first I thought she was just excited and disturbed by having a new perosn in the house, but it is getting worse not better as time goes on

2. The laundary may be too cold? Would this keep her up and cause barking?

3. I've pushed her bedtime forward about one hour (from 12 till 11).

I crate her if I need to go out for an hour or so. she is barking as we leave, but is not barking when we get home. I also never go to her if she is barking or crying, so pretty sure she doesn't think she will get attention from barking.

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Laundry's are cold places and it has been bloody cold in Sydney lately as winter has hit with a vengeance. Can you put her crate in your room as they like to be close to you and it will be warmer than the laundry.

Has your mum had much to do with Mindy since she returned from holiday?

Yes! basically letting Mindy break every rule we had set!

I would love for her to sleep on my bed as I think she would really settle well and sleep through the night without a problem, but unfortunately guide dogs need her to sleep in the crate.

I have a heater in there for her now, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Laundry's are cold places and it has been bloody cold in Sydney lately as winter has hit with a vengeance. Can you put her crate in your room as they like to be close to you and it will be warmer than the laundry.

I agree, can you try crating her beside your bed? We had to do this with Ava for the first two weeks or so, then we moved her in her crate to the lounge (where she had our older dog for company). She still took a long time to settle at night and she woke us with whinging every morning at 5am or so until she was nearly 5 months old! But we got there eventually. Good luck!

Yes I have tried with the crate next to my bed, it makes no difference and in fact I think she persists with barking for longer because she knows I am there.

She acts like she doesn't like being in the crate at night, which I am confused about as she will go in there voluntarily to nap during the day?

I am thinking she is just going through a bit of a naughty period and trying to test the rules a bit...