How Many Matings Do You Do?

Bokezu

Usually 2, 48 hours apart but I have had 1 bitch who would only allow the dog 1 mating & another silent heat girl slip mating for seconds only, no sign the dog had even ejaculated.

Never made any difference to litter size, usual 3 to 4 pups, with one having 6,rare for a toy poodle.

Had 1 singleton litter of huge pup after 2 matings & the slip mating produced 4, no rhyme or reason really.

I don't know why people get so fixated on a due date. Pups arrive when pups arrive, if the bitch is comfortable, happy and well, then a few days here or there is nothing to worry about.

Some breeders have gotten to the point, where they feel they need to control every aspect of the mating, whelping and hit the panic buttons when they think it's not all going to schedule.

Know your bitches inside out and leave the rest up to them.

In my breed a day late almost always = dead puppies. A few days early is common because they usually don't mate until after ovulation.

If they don't go into labour by their due date I would always opt for a caesar. You never know when you could be dealing with one that never goes into labour at all. Just not worth the risk to mum or babies in my book.