Dog Chewing On Other Dogs Ears

MsBex

Hi.

We've just moved into my sister's who has a 4yro SBT and things have been going well.

There was the expected humping by Storm (SBT) to 1yro Cory (Cocker) but overall Storm is a pretty laid back dog. The thing I'm not sure on is that Cory has been chewing on Storms ear whenever they play, and generally being a pest as he has a higher energy level than Storm. Storm doesn't seem to like it but just turns his head or lies down trying to ignore Cory when he's not interested. They do have a lot of down time just sleeping side by side, however have been wondering if the ear chewing is just normal behaviour or if it is something I should be stopping, and is so how?

I have been separating them whenever I think Storm needs a break, as I know its my job to discipline Cory.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it's fairly normal behaviour as he is only a youngster. The SBT should let him know when he's had enough, but I would discourage this if I were u. Only because it is obviously annoying to the other dog. I have the same problem with my 11 month old STD poo chewing on my ACDs ears. I try to discourage it by vocal commands, "no!" ect, and if it gets too bad I crate him to give her a break, she's an old dog and not very well so I don't want her being harrassed too much. Good luck, hope u get it sorted. :love:

Edited by Danielle

Thanks for your replys. I have seen a few other puppys do it, and never really thought much about it, until I got a chance to live with it.

Have been pretty much doing similar to you Danielle, so will keep doing that with more consistency! :D

My boys are always gnawing on each other's ears. It gets Kivi's fur all tangled up. :D I let them at it. They are good to each other. Over time they both changed their play behaviour to align with what the other likes. I say give it some time and see how it goes, but if the other dog is irritated and trying to get away I'd interrupt the younger dog.