Use Of Electronic Collars In Tasmania?

Hi guys!

I have a client moving to Tasmania in around six months to a rural property. Their golden retriever has managed to get out twice and killed guinea pigs and chooks in their current street. She is a wonderful dog owner and very responsible, and was heartbroken to tell me that she would consider rehoming him before moving if he couldn't be trained out of it, as she was worried about him being shot when chasing stock.

I discussed training techniques we can use such as teaching him to satisfy his prey drive with her on a real fur tug, but also said that this alone probably wouldn't be enough, and usually the use of e-collars in conjuction to this gets the best results. We can't, however, use them in NSW.

So i told her i'd find out the legalities as to e-collars in TAS.

We both agreed the best plan of action would be for her to use an electronic containment device at the new property for the most safety, as well as some training techniques. She was so excited and relieved to hear about the invisible fences, as she said it would mean she wouldn't have to re-home him for his own safety.

So my questions are:

Can you legally use remote training collars in TAS and if that is the case are there any trainers you would recommend her going to see once she moves in order to learn to use them efficiently to attempt to train her dog out of prey drive satisfying behaviours?

And can you legally use electronic containment devices (invisible fences) legally in TAS and are there only certain brands that are legal? If so which brands would you recommend and/or people to install them?

Thanks!

Hi melzawelza, yes you can legally use an e-collar or electronic containment system in Tasmania to the best of my knowledge and they are available in some of the larger pet shops and can be brought in to the state from other states without consequence.

If she needs further advice once here she can contact me. PM for details.