Tooth Extractions

Poor Ginny the greyhound is having at least 5 teeth out today. She has bad gingivitis and even though I've been brushing her teeth and feeding her lots of bones, she is still going to lose them.

How do dogs cope with extractions? The vet has given us lots of information but I was wondering what people's experience was. Can they still manage bones? Ginny loves lamb necks and pork and beef ribs. Poor girl!

My boy had 4 teeth removed a few months ago (some were broken) - he was not at all bothered. I had him on soft foods for about 4 days then back to normal food. he still loves all his hard cookies and bones etc but it can take him a bit longer to eat them. He has a bit more trouble getting everything off the bones but no less enjoyment from trying. :rofl:

My experience is that with teeth that need to be extracted due to dental disease, if due attention is paid to pain relief in the immediate post operative period, they actually feel better after the surgery :dropjaw:

I think owners often under-estimate the effect that chronic dental pain has on their pet as so many tell me after a major dental that their dog (or cat) is so much happier than they have been for ages, or they will now actually eat dry food or bones etc.

Last year our vet team undertook some training with a veterinary dentist, I think one of the most sobering things she pointed out (which is quite obvious, but this really put it in perspective) that once a dog stops eating because of tooth pain, it means they would rather die than eat. I see a lot of really feral, festy mouths in otherwise very bright dogs with good appetite where the owners can't appreciate that there is a problem.

The dog will cope fine.

You will have to learn to cope with the sight of a greyhound with its tongue always hanging out the side of its mouth. :rofl:

Unfortunately, many greyhounds are prone to getting bad teeth, so it isn't unusual for them to need extractions. Check with your vet that they are not going to remove the canine teeth, as removing them is a much more dangerous procedure, and should be only be done by somebody experienced.

You will have to give Ginny a diet of cubed steak or chicken for a week or so afterwards. No mince, kibble, or anything soft that will get stuck in her mouth while the gaps are healing.

my MIL had a little dog that at a young age ended up with no teeth (ignorance on her part caused this :thumbsup: ) but the little chap lived quite well without them, and as someone has already mentioned, you do get a tongue hanging out most of the time. On the other hand my pug does this too and he has teeth..... :o

I am just devestated for Ginny. The vet left her canines and a few molars but she thinks they will all need to come out. Ginny's tongue is hanging out and I feel so sorry for her. She is eating cubes of meat and is ok in her self but I feel so bad for her. Our other greyhound Zorro never raced and he has perfect shiny white teeth!

Now that her mouth is less tender, I've had a good look at her teeth and she had a few of her front teeth out so she has a gappy grin! She has all four canines and a few molars. She is loving her cubes of meat so if she can't eat bones again I think she'll be ok. I am hoping to hang on to her remaining teeth for as long as possible so I am putting gel on her gums and brushing her teeth. Will she be able to get the meat of lamb shanks or things like that with a few teeth?

The vet left as much of the bone as possible to enable her to eat as much as possible.

You will just have to see how she goes. I am sure she will still enjoy a bone, even if she can't eat it well.

Once her mouth is healed you will be able to give her mince and kibble if she has difficulty getting meat off the bone.