Chronic Kidney Disease

OK not only did the poor dog get her teeth cleaned and have a couple of lumps removed but her blood tests showed the start of old age kidney diease. She's got tablets and food but when it comes to treats I was told to look for low salt and low protein. Which is worse of the two as looking at her treats the ones that are low in salt are the highest in protein and the ones lowest in protein have the 3pc salt.

IN similar sized treats which is the lesser evil?

Replacig the bulk of her dry food will replace the bulk of her diet and she doesn't get anything bar the fetching the paper in reward every day but for future treat buying have to start deciding which to cut out and which she can have on a restricted basis.

Edited by rubiton

Vet said it was ok as long as to keep mindful of what percentage said treat would make up in the diet. So I guess its a bit like having a piece of chocolate cake say once a week in a human will hardly pack on the weight. Her levels were up in the blood tests and apart from sometimes drinking a little more than usual there have been no obvious symptoms. Though he did also start on medication as well as the food. However the food can be weaned over from her current food its not like change today like it was when she had gastro a few years back.

Though at the moment she is very sore and sorry for herself so its not like she'll be having much dry food for the next few days.

Sorry to hear about your girl :) . My old girl Pepper has just been diagnosed with kidney disease as well.

Regular, shop bought treats are definitely out! It's not just salt and protein you need to look out for, you must also make sure that the phosphorus level in the food is below 0.6%.

I'm still checking into treats, but Pepper's main meal is now the Tucker Time roll as it has 14% protein, 6% fat, 0.4% phosphorus and 0.2% salt. I'm not a fan of the Hill's Science Diet range, but the only dry food that meets her needs is the Prescription k/d. Is that what your vet has given you for your girl?

Sheridan's idea of making home made treats is a good one. I'll be looking into that shortly and see if I can find the protein and phosphorus levels of different meats.

Hope you find the right balance for your girl :eek:

Using the Hills prescription foods to make treats (I'm sure you can do the same with other brands!)

Using canned food:

Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.

Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.

Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2 ½ to 3 minutes.

Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.

Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using dry food:

In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.

Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1 ¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.

Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)

Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.

Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

To enhance flavor, sprinkle oregano powder over the dry food treats. However, do not add oregano to homemade treats when Prescription Diet™ z/d™ or d/d™ foods are used. Cookie cutters make treats fun to make and serve.

Thanks for the advice about the home made treats.

Yes yellowgirl she now has a bag of prescription k/d to slowly change over from her current food and has the daily half tablet too. Was told its ok for her to change over the diet gradually as the levels are only a 'little' higher than normal range.

Vet said look for the levels on the treats and then its ok to have occasional things as long as we are mindful of her overall diet (eg a few small pieces of chicken once a week or less is ok but is out as a major part of the diet). Dry food at night and in her food ball in the day makes up the bulk of her diet but she does gets treats now and again and once the current stuff runs out have to work out what to restrict her to (nothing isnt an answer at this stage). Luckily it was picked up on the routine blood test.

Is the phosphorus level usually on the packaging (as that or something else?) or did you have to contact the food companies?