Puppy Gates

koalathebear

Can anyone recommend a good baby gate/dog gate for a relatively wide doorway. Approx 160cm.

Although the advertisements often contain the dimensions for the gates themselves, they do not give the measurements for the extensions so I am not sure if they will be long enough.

If I could get some recommendations for brand names then I could do some Googling. Thanks very much in advance

I am aware that because Elbie is a kelpie/border collie cross had he can jump up high, but at present we are using cardboard boxes and that is enough to let him know that he's not supposed to go into that room and he generally doesn't jump. The thing is, we would like to get rid of the cardboard boxes because they're quite unsightly and we are almost finished unpacking boxes in the new house

ETA: apologies for talking like a caveman, since the CTR surgery, I have been trying out speech recognition on my computer with very limited success :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

Petbarn have some.

We have a puppy playpen which can be converted into a gateway, you can take pieces out of it to make it bigger or smaller and it has a gate to allow humans to get in easily. It would easily block off even a large doorway.

The only problem is Mindy has learnt to open the gate, so it is now quite useless! Its about thigh height. Can't remeber the name of the brand but we got it from petbiz and it was quite expensive (around 100 bucks i think). Its a creamy colour, with vertical bars.

Sorry probably not that helpful for you!

ebay - I have 4 gates and one of the doorways is 1.6m and has 6 extensions (@ 14cms each) If you go through ebay contact the seller and ask for measurements.

I have 2 of these - one is at the 1.6m doorway - both came with one ext each so bought another 4 to fit the wide doorway.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BABY-TODDLER-PE...#ht_2663wt_1137

or

Order extensions with gate.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-81CM-HEIGHT-BAB...#ht_2616wt_1137

I got mine in Target. Im not sure how long it actually is but it came with an extension piece and you could buy additional extension pieces. It was about $70 i think but it works great. Its nice and solid too and high and the gate part is easy to use (you push 2 buttons to open so no chance in the dog working out how to open it!).

Edited by goldee

ebay - I have 4 gates and one of the doorways is 1.6m and has 6 extensions (@ 14cms each) If you go through ebay contact the seller and ask for measurements.

I have 2 of these - one is at the 1.6m doorway - both came with one ext each so bought another 4 to fit the wide doorway.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-BABY-TODDLER-PE...#ht_2663wt_1137

or

Order extensions with gate.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-81CM-HEIGHT-BAB...#ht_2616wt_1137

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Andisa - I have been trying to get the dog gate you mentioned but it's clearly popular because I have now been outbid no less than three times :laugh: I shall keep trying! Target is also having a sale so I'll see if Canberra Target has the baby gates.

One of the reasons my OH is of two minds about agility for Elbie is that he's afraid it will teach him to jump fences ... At present he shows no kelpie-esque inclinations to fence jump or jail-break... I guess we can always use our baby gates (if I ever get some!) for training purposes :rofl:

*shakes a paw* O baby gates, why must you be so popular on ebay? :thumbsup: I am horrified yet fascinated by the number of times I keep getting gazumped in my attempt to buy various baby gates :laugh: i swear, there must be hordes of devoted baby/dog parents sitting by their computers during the final minutes of an auction to bid like crazy :idea: