Mating Problems Sharpei

Hi all we are new to breeding, and we are registered with the VCA for Sharpei

Our girl KoeKoe is 2&1/2 we have tried to mate her on her last 2 seasons with no luck natural or AI. Her progesterone levels were high enough both times she was only AI'd after her level was about 25 and both times she had 2 AI's done one day after the other. Her levels reached over the 50 mark.

She will not let the stud mount her for a natural mating although she flags him and does everything else, just when he tries to mount her she sits and turns to attack him, the vet has suggested the next step is to put her out and do a scope and AI. Has anyone had a similar problem? or have any ideas to try?

The stud has produced many litters previously and his sperm has been tested and is all fine on that side of things.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

regards

Lachlan and Michele

After the AI's did you get her vet checked at any stage to see if she was actually pregnant ? If not it could be that she was & re absorbed or aborted early & cleaned up well.

Re the stud. Some dogs let any dog mate but others have to know or make friends with dog first. Was she on a lead ? Sometimes you have to put the bitch on a lead & put your hands under the belly to make them stand.

Some breeders muzzle too, I wouldn't but my dogs are only small.

Maybe timing was out, some wont accept a male until 3 weeks into the season, despite recommendations for 10 to 14 days generally.

Sometimes for some unknown reason a dog wont accept one stud but may be willing with another.

Many reasons no easy answer.

All I can think of, is if possible, get her used to the stud, walk them together, sleep them next to each other etc. Hard if it is not your dog though.

Maybe get someone here to point you in the direction of a good repro vet that is close you for further investigation & advice.

There are many reasons why she might not become pregnant but some of the behaviour you state suggests as a maiden, she needs to be put to an experienced male that won't take any nonsense.

As well, if the AI's are not done correctly, that is, inserted and done both from collection from the male to how the e is managed upon insertion, it won't work.

Yes you can do transcervical AI's but I"m not a big fan of it to be honest and I'm less of a fan of doing a surgical fresh implant, but I know many that have done it with success.

There are cases where a bitch simply can not get pregnant no matter what all the testing says so you may have to be prepared for that as well. Often it doesn't come with answers as to why either (as frustrating as that can be)

As a parallel note, look at the diet of the bitch and assess if in fact she could be missing something on a basic level. I recently had a bitch that we could not get bred no matter what we did and it wasn't til she came off her kibble and was put on a natural diet with organics, did she manage to be able to be bred, but this was after about 18 months detoxification period. Might not be the case with this bitch above, but you just never know.

Im unsure why the AI's didnt work but shar pei are a hard breed to breed, if a bitch doesnt want to she wont mate no matter what you do, many bitches wont let a male near them until they are older, i know of one who mated for the first time recently at the age of 4, there is a big breeder who will probably give you plenty of advice if you want there details pm me and i can give them to you.