Do Puppies Have A Fluffier Fur Coat Then When They Grow Up?

heroeswit

My puppy has a really soft coat but some parts are less fluffy (harsher) then the rest. these areas also don't pick up dirt like the rest of her coat and stay pure white. Is it just her losing her winter coat or would it be her puppy coat?

Any advice would be great

My puppy has a really soft coat but some parts are less fluffy (harsher) then the rest. these areas also don't pick up dirt like the rest of her coat and stay pure white. Is it just her losing her winter coat or would it be her puppy coat?

Any advice would be great

Hi her breed would help , most pups have a fluffy or soft coat that falls out before they are around 12 months , if it is your little white girl in your sig , she will most likely have a soft undercoat with a longer harder top coat the top coat is often more resiliant to dirt and water , in winter the under coat will be thicker she will shed quite a bit of this in summer

Your breed standard will help you to identify the correct adult coat type but some coated breeds take up to 3 years old before they show true adult coat.

If she is dropping coat everywhere and itchy would advise you brush first and then bath her to help her lose it a little quicker

I thought so , she will have a double coat when she is an adult , most lose the puppy fluffy at between 4 and 8 months old depending on the time of year they are born,

They tend to shed twice a year it is quite a significant coat drop from winter to summer they can look a little patchy for a few weeks ( and the whole house is covered in fur ) , try a furminator comb on her they are expensive but well worth it

if she has the slightly longer coat type be careful that the undercoat does not matt when she sheds as this can be very uncomfortable for her, always brush before you wash , as washing first can make any matting worse.

She will have a harsh outer coat and soft under coat as an adult , missing outer coat on the breed is a fault as far as I know ,

the good thing is she will be easier to keep white she is a lovely little pup

Its just funny the way she is getting her adult coat because on her tail she has a patch that looks like an arrow pointing to the tip of her tail, it makes it look out of proportion :birthday:

Glad to know that it is common. I was expecting something like this to happen but I wasn't expecting it to happen when she is only 11 weeks but then they can't stay puppies forever

but then they can't stay puppies forever

:birthday: So true ... It's so sad when they're not cute little puppies anymore! But other delightfulness awaits as their personalities develop.

Elbie has lost his soft puppy coat but his head - particularly ears are still soooooo soft and lovely. I have to admit I like stroking and pinching his ears (very gently of course) because they're so soft. He rests his head on my knee to let me do this. :)

Edited by koalathebear

but then they can't stay puppies forever

:D So true ... It's so sad when they're not cute little puppies anymore! But other delightfulness awaits as their personalities develop.

Elbie has lost his soft puppy coat but his head - particularly ears are still soooooo soft and lovely. I have to admit I like stroking and pinching his ears (very gently of course) because they're so soft. He rests his head on my knee to let me do his. ;)

I love Mindy's ears too!

She is also very tolerant of my ear-stroking and squishing.

When we first got Banjo his coat was very flat and thin..... Now he doesnt even look like the same dog! He is a big puff ball! he has sooooo much more hair! And its way softer!

Since his breed is basically unknown I am just guessing its his 'winter coat' :-D Either that or good food and good health has brought him back to his original condition :D