Barking At Neighbours

wuffles

I know this topic has been done before but just wondering whether anyone has any fresh ideas.

Our neighbours have told us that our dogs bark at them every time they so much as open their back door to go into their yard. They are not used to dogs and their child is scared to go into his own yard ;) So now I feel terrible!

They barely let out a woof when we are home, even if someone is walking past the house. They have said that our older dog didn't used to bark at them when he was by himself, but now we have the two, they both set each other off. Neither of them would hurt anyone but they do sound and look scary.

I have offered for their child to meet the dogs but he is too scared. The lady says that she will work with us, should I ask her to go into her yard and I can observe what they do? What should I do if they bark? What should I do if they don't bark?

Edit: I've just found a really similar topic that is only a week old. Sorry! Still interested in any tips though considering they don't do it when we're home.

Edited by wuffles