Where Does You Puppy Sleep?

Vader's mum

Another crate covert. Originally my boys slept in crates in my bedroom, now the crates are in the spare room. They know what "Time for bed means " and will often beat me to bed when I come home from work in the wee small hours.

Were home safe and sound and about 4hrs over! he wasnt on his original flight. Poor little man we had a play when we got home and sorry but im ready for bed so you are too haha. He was having a sulk about getting back in the crate threw a lightweight blanket over it and he settled down, sound aslep now.

Im feeling a little guilty he's been in there such a very long time, alarm is set so I can get up for him. Oh I must say it LOVE, gosh that puppy breath! Photos will come I just have to work out how....

Mine started off sleeping on a bed, either ours or my daughters, now he sleeps on his own bed on our bedroom floor unless I'm on my own, then he comes up for cuddles with me.

Spoilt, yes. I had no problem toilet training him though, and having him in someones bed meant we never had any sleepless nights with a crying, lonely puppy.

Ours started off in pens in our room and now 1 sleeps on our bed and the other in his own bed on the floor next to me! Both come for snuggles once they hear the alarm go off!! No crying or whinging this way and we are always close to them incase something happens in the middle of the night! We leave the door slightly open so they can go to the toilet as they please and we dont hear a peep! :confused:

Jager sleeps in a crate next to my bed, he has since day one and will continue to until he settles down a bit. I still dont think he is 100% toilet trained and although he sleeps through the night in his crate, he is pretty lazy and if left on our bed, i think when he decided he needed to go he would just walk to the corner and go instead of making the journey to the right place.

Besides the fact that i already have a cat on the bed and she makes it hard enough to sleep, add a dog to that and i dont think i would get any. Once he grows up and is able to settle quicker, he will stay in his crate.

Just to steal the topic quickly - for those of you who let your pups sleep on the bed, how do you teach them to settle and learn that the bed is a calm place for sleeping?? At the moment, as soon as I put Jager in his crate he is quiet and i dont hear a peep out of him unless he needs the toilet. But on the odd occasion on the weekend when i thought i would bring him up for a cuddle, he goes mad and just wants to run all over the bed and licks your face etc.

My two, now 11 months old have always slept outside in a pen with a snug dog box. Now they are older and thy have a huge pen with trees and a garden shed with sofas in there they sleep there. Their mother sleeps on her bed on the floor beside ours. In over 30 years of having my own dogs away from home I have never used a crate. I can see their value but ealy on, being in the laundry then graduating to the bedroom has worked well when having a single dog.

Jager sleeps in a crate next to my bed, he has since day one and will continue to until he settles down a bit. I still dont think he is 100% toilet trained and although he sleeps through the night in his crate, he is pretty lazy and if left on our bed, i think when he decided he needed to go he would just walk to the corner and go instead of making the journey to the right place.

Besides the fact that i already have a cat on the bed and she makes it hard enough to sleep, add a dog to that and i dont think i would get any. Once he grows up and is able to settle quicker, he will stay in his crate.

Just to steal the topic quickly - for those of you who let your pups sleep on the bed, how do you teach them to settle and learn that the bed is a calm place for sleeping?? At the moment, as soon as I put Jager in his crate he is quiet and i dont hear a peep out of him unless he needs the toilet. But on the odd occasion on the weekend when i thought i would bring him up for a cuddle, he goes mad and just wants to run all over the bed and licks your face etc.

I snuggle in to the bed, and Genevieve does her little circles until she finds a spot she is comfortable with! Normally that is curling up behind my legs, or in front of my tummy (I sleep on my side). A few times when she gets mental (or Hubby winds her up as we are going to bed - which drives me insane! :hug: ), I have just grabbed her and held her to me... after a few minutes she relaxes, then finds her comfy spot. When she doesn't, she goes in her crate at the food of our bed. She soon works out that she has to be good!!!

I have to say, the last couple of nights we have just put her in the crate and skipped the bed bit. I love having her on the bed, but it's too hard when Hubby is home. She wedges herself in the middle of us and then there is no where for either one of us to rollover. I think we will reserve it for when he is away and it is just me. :laugh: Bad, I know! But she seems reasonably flexible about it at the moment.

Jager is soo cute, we looked at getting a pug but I got told if I got a pug I couldnt have my beagle (mean man that Im marrying!)

So my little man slept in his creat and was so well behaved got up twice for him and we woke up at 5. I usually get up at 6 so I thought after his very long day yesterday I could get up early with him and play. He's settling nicely completely oblivious of the two cats (thier not though!)

Anyway I have put a thead up in the photos section if you'd love a look at my little man.