Major Puppy Dandruff

pinky11

Hi

i have discovered that my cav pup has major dandruff( i mean covered in it)

my question is what can i use to get rid of it?? Can i use human anti dandruff shampoo?

i currently use Aloveen to wash him in now. He's currently being feed RC dry plus extras-- sardines,chicken necks, eggs

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance

Edited by wiggum

Since it is all over it is either something drying out the skin (too much washing?) or a food allergy. Mites and topical allergies tend to be localised to start with.

If he is itchy as well it may be a food allergy. Hopefully some of the cavalier experts will see this and give you some suggestions, it does seem to vary a bit from breed to breed whether the most common food allergens are grains or protein type.

Since it is all over it is either something drying out the skin (too much washing?) or a food allergy. Mites and topical allergies tend to be localised to start with.

If he is itchy as well it may be a food allergy. Hopefully some of the cavalier experts will see this and give you some suggestions, it does seem to vary a bit from breed to breed whether the most common food allergens are grains or protein type.

Well he is Itchy , he gets washed once every 2 weeks or so .

Genevieve has dandruff - thank fully not as bad as what it was! I was upset for her because she was always scratching and chewing her paws...

I too switched to using Aloveen, added sardines (at one stage every day!!!), raw egg and moist food to her predominantly kibble diet. She was also scooting on her bum a lot (no worms and anal glands were empty). Turns out she is allergic to her dry food, Advance. It took me a while to come to this conclusion though, as her coat has been glossy and smooth from the start.

Have switched to Artemis and now she hardly scratches or chews her paws and I haven't seen her bum scoot once! Her coat is still glossy and smooth too, which is good!

well i seem to have the same issues bottom scooting( no worms & anal glands fine) scatching , lots of dandruff,

Food Related issue???

That is my bet.

I still bath G every fortnight or so, and I rub the aloveen conditioner through her coat in between... I use it like it was a moisturiser in that regard! Keeps her smelling nice too.

I read in the nutrition section, that Nutro and Artemis were the go for dogs with dandruff.... Some people also use fish oil supplements. I went with Artemis as my groomer also suggested this, as did the bloke at the store I bought it from. It supposedly has less preservatives and cereals in it...? I am not phased by the details, I just want something she can eat! I am a big believer in feeding what is right for your dog, whether it is home brand coles stuff to the top of the range super premium food to raw. An exclusive raw diet would be my last resort though, as I don't feel confident in my ability to ensure she would be getting everything she needs. I don't really eat well myself, so preparing a gourmet menu for the dog just wouldn't happen.

I switched her over within 48 hours and she has been fine. Didn't upset her tummy and everything has been fine at the other end. We have been on the new food for nearly a fortnight now. She still has the dandruff, but no where near as bad. I gather it will clear over time. I wish I had done it months earlier.

Edited by Wizzle