Nasodigital Hyperkeratosis

conztruct

Hi All,

After doing a whole bunch of googling I think one of my dogs has developed this on her back paws (well it looks like the picture I saw except there's no fluro about it like I read in one article....). I might be completely wrong but the paw pad seems to have become a sea of fibrous little "hairs" - looks like spaghetti........

It hasn't resulted in any reduction in activity or anything - I noticed it when doing her nails the other day.

I wondered if anyone who had experienced this might be able to confirm if it is - I've been bathing the paws and using vitamin E cream and Vaseline which has seemed to have improved them a bit. I thought it might have been some kind of fungus or infection because we've had a lot of rain and everything is quite soggy at the moment.

I saw the treatments about dremmeling, etc and not too comfortable - I just thought with the improvement I saw that it may be something different - I'll take her to the vet for a look but any extra info would be great. I've looked at lots of the online stuff about it but thought I'd check in the DOL brains trust....:laugh:

Edited by conztruct

I've been working on improving my boy's health issues which began to appear when he was about 7mo. His symptoms appeared as allergies (not to say they were) and have been varied. Hives; interdigital cysts; and more. At one stage he had what I thought to be nasodigital hyperkeratosis. I don't know whether what I did made the difference or whether in the usual trend of his symptoms it was bound to go away anyway, but I gave his feet a soaking in Calendula Tea (yep, me and Calendula Tea .... I almost cringe now when I refer to it I've recommended it so much and for so many things :laugh:).

I did this a good number of times - no particular intervals, just whenever and as often as I could.

*touch wood* - he doesn't seem to show that problem anymore.

Thanks Erny. I'm open to anything and prefer to use more natural things where possible rather than chemicals etc

Will give it a try and see how I go. I colleague at work told me to try diluting some white vinegar and bathing with this as well. Still not sure if that's what it is because it only seems to have come on since everything's been soggy from the rain and I've had her two years without it.....so time will tell I guess.

Thanks again. :laugh:

(yep, me and Calendula Tea .... I almost cringe now when I refer to it I've recommended it so much and for so many things

:grouphug: Erny - that's how I feel about me & Apple Cider Vinegar

And that is what I'd use instead of the white vinegar Conztruct :cry: :cry:

(yep, me and Calendula Tea .... I almost cringe now when I refer to it I've recommended it so much and for so many things

:) Erny - that's how I feel about me & Apple Cider Vinegar

And that is what I'd use instead of the white vinegar Conztruct :laugh: ;)

Thanks T-time - I'm an ACV convert too :D

My doggies have a little in their water, a teaspoon or so in their food every other day and I give them a rinse in ACV diluted in water after their baths - you're preaching to the converted :) and I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure that that's even the problem - maybe their paws have softened and are looking a bit "furry" due to the wet we've had here of late - sun's out for the first time in ages today so hopefully things will dry out. Taking better care of the dogs feet won't hurt though no matter what the weather.

Fortunately no signs of discomfort, inflammation, etc and we're still going to little walks and doing playtime everyday.

I have a Springer with this and I took him to the vet who just trimmed it up, this was ages ago and I have just checked his back paws and it has grown back a little on one paw, my theory is keep and eye on it and as long as it isnt causing a problem then all is fine.

Dont fix what is not broken, :)