Weaning Process

Remblak

My tiny babies started eating on day 22. They are 5 weeks old today & are on about 5 small meals a day.

One mum stays in with them all night, the other won't. They feed pups about twice a day & soon hop out when fed up.

Diet is raw mince, raw steak, small chopped cooked chicken, tiny bit of mashed vegies, a little cooked liver & heart but not daily, advance rehydratable soaked, optimum canned puppy & a daily vitamin supplement. They did enjoy roast pork & roast vegies one day.

I don't use any milk at all.

Try not to make them fussy eaters & they are happy with anything put down for them.

Mums were on 4 small meals a day + unlimited dry but cut that last week as they wanted the meat, chicken & vegies all the time. 2 meals a day now they are not feeding as much + unlimited dry Proplan & Advance.

Teats checked daily, no hardness.

I generally don't reduce the quantity of food to the bitch until the pups are 7-8 weeks old, but that does depend on her condition obviously.

The quality of the food is the thing I was talking about.

I have no idea about Advance rehydratable but for mine it would be instead of a chicken Maryland she'd get a drum stick and 1/2 a carcase for example - anything that gives them the same weight of food but less lean protein and more fat/skin/bone.

Maybe old fashion, but works fine for me :p

I generally don't reduce the quantity of food to the bitch until the pups are 7-8 weeks old, but that does depend on her condition obviously.

The quality of the food is the thing I was talking about.

I have no idea about Advance rehydratable but for mine it would be instead of a chicken Maryland she'd get a drum stick and 1/2 a carcase for example - anything that gives them the same weight of food but less lean protein and more fat/skin/bone.

Maybe old fashion, but works fine for me :)

Thanks Sandra, appreciate your response :crossfingers: