Addison's Disease (hypoadrenocorticism)

Hi all, I hope I am not repeating another thread...

I just wanted to alert other DOLers to a condition our 3yo lab bitch has just been diagnosed with.

Our girl Candy became very unwell Tuesday week ago. She suddenly became very depressed, lethargic, weak and had no appetite - she did not have a temperature but was clearly not herself. We ruled out snake bite as she showed no signs consistent with this. By the following morning she had vomited several times. By lunchtime there was still no improvement so my OH took her to our vet. X-rays confirmed that there was no blockage but bloods showed abnormal levels indicating possible kidney issues. She was put straight onto IV fluids including electrolytes, and more bloods were sent off for further testing. The following morning the results came back showing a severe potassium/sodium imbalance and ultimately, after what's known as an ACTH test, she was diagnosed with Addison's disease. Hers is immune mediated - her body's immune system is destroying her adrenal glands causing them to produce insufficient quantities of two particularly vital hormones that maintain normal bodily functions. She spent 4 days in hospital before she was well enough to come home.

Candy had what is known as an Addisonian Crisis. Luckily, we caught hers quite early. Apparently it's not uncommon for dogs to be brought in after suddenly going into shock and collapsing and this can then be fatal.

In addition, it's quite common for dogs to show minor symptoms on and off for some time but because the symptoms seem inconclusive, it's not till the Crisis occurs that owners realise something's seriously wrong. Candy's condition, in hindsight, has probably been building slowly over the past 12 months or so. There were short periods of mild depression at various times but never anything that really made us think there was something wrong.

From what I've read, Addison's disease is not particularly rare and most commonly affects young to middle-aged bitches however, it does occur in dogs as well.

Thankfully, there are some excellent drugs available to control this condition. Candy will need testing 2-3 times each year but all in all, the prognosis now that she is over her crisis, is excellent. She is back to her old, very happy self - in fact, she is better than she has been for the last 12 months I think!!!

Just thought this one might be one worth putting in people's memory banks for future reference. If it helps just one person make an informed decision when it really counts, it will be worth it.

Cheers!

w2s

Hi W2.

My old goldie girl was diagnosed with this at 6 years of age. I was lucky, I noticed symptons of refusing to eat very much, lethargy and weightloss, the symptons continued over a month, I initially thought it was old age starting to set in. She was my first dog other than the corgi cross we had when I was very little. I knew very little about dogs then. After I started worrying she was getting too skinny I took her to the vet, blood tests along with her symptons pointed to addison's, she went on meds and responded very quickly, within a day or so I had my "puppy" back, she started acting like she was a puppy again, massive change. She lived for another 6 years and was on medication for the rest of her life. She never had a crisis, had a couple of times where her medication had to be adjusted, but nothing I'd call a crisis. She died of cancer at 11.5yrs. Don't ever think they can't live normal lives. They can, you just need to be vigilant and watch for any of their symptons. With Sascha, as soon as she started losing her appetite again I knew her medication most likely needed adjusting.

Hi W2.

My old goldie girl was diagnosed with this at 6 years of age. I was lucky, I noticed symptons of refusing to eat very much, lethargy and weightloss, the symptons continued over a month, I initially thought it was old age starting to set in. She was my first dog other than the corgi cross we had when I was very little. I knew very little about dogs then. After I started worrying she was getting too skinny I took her to the vet, blood tests along with her symptons pointed to addison's, she went on meds and responded very quickly, within a day or so I had my "puppy" back, she started acting like she was a puppy again, massive change. She lived for another 6 years and was on medication for the rest of her life. She never had a crisis, had a couple of times where her medication had to be adjusted, but nothing I'd call a crisis. She died of cancer at 11.5yrs. Don't ever think they can't live normal lives. They can, you just need to be vigilant and watch for any of their symptons. With Sascha, as soon as she started losing her appetite again I knew her medication most likely needed adjusting.

Hi GoldenWei, that was a great outcome for your girl too. Congrats on being vigilant. Our vet said we had done well to get Candy in so promptly but I can't imagine leaving her any longer given how 'down' she was a the time.

Sadly, Candy's symptoms were really vague initially - just this intermittent lethargy - she never, ever lost her appetite and as far as I'm aware, hadn't lost any obvious weight till she 'crisised' last week. It was as if her levels suddenly went ballistic and her entire system just shut down. I will now know to watch for anything resembling a depressed state I guess and that should alert us to any changes needing to be made to her meds. She goes back in a fortnight for another blood test.

Great outcome for Sascha which makes me feel very positive for our Candy too! Thanks for the feedback,

w2s