Tugging

I'm just wondering if there is any particular way you should tug? I've always just assumed you pull and tug on the toy at random angles and increasing and decreasing the force used at random too. One thing I have learnt since joining dogzonline though is that I know way less about dogs than I thought, so maybe I am as wrong about this as I have been about other things.

If I want to increase my dogs desire to tug is there a way to do that or is it just tug more often and they will like it more?

I'm just wondering if there is any particular way you should tug? I've always just assumed you pull and tug on the toy at random angles and increasing and decreasing the force used at random too. One thing I have learnt since joining dogzonline though is that I know way less about dogs than I thought, so maybe I am as wrong about this as I have been about other things.

If I want to increase my dogs desire to tug is there a way to do that or is it just tug more often and they will like it more?

The Leerburg DVD "The Power of Playing Tug with Your Dog" is a favourite of mine that shows the correct ways to present the tug :laugh:

And I agree with you that DOL has shown me just how little I know about dogs too - but it's also a great place to learn :thumbsup:

The Leerburg DVD "The Power of Playing Tug with Your Dog" is a favourite of mine that shows the correct ways to present the tug :thumbsup:

That is a very good DVD, I have it and really like it too. It describes really well how to move the tug to get the dog interested in it.

& if you always make sure you stop the game while your dog really wants to continue, instead of tugging until your dog is getting bored, then that will increase your dog's drive for the game.

One thing I hate seeing when people tug is the dogs head kinked upwards because they have not come down to the dog's level. IMO the dog should have its head at a 'natural' angle - either looking slightly down or straight ahead.

The other thing that I need to be mindful of with my dogs is that the game is about the DOG tugging NOT you throwing the dog around on the end of a tug toy. There needs to be interaction, but the dog needs to be putting in most of the effort.

K9: Playing tug is almost a science,

ain't that the truth!

There are so many variables too. I find breed, temperament, handlers ability & general relationship with the handler have so much to do with how easy/hard, successful/unsuccessful tugging is. Reason for playing tug & level of commitment you want/need and give plays a big part in it as well.

I'm finding tugging with a terrier a whole different ball game to tugging with my working bc's, and they are totally different again to my showline bc's.

The end result kind of looks the same but the process has been different for me.

Edited by Vickie

Agree with both Vickie and K9Pro with the tugging is a science - who could have thought a relatively simple concept of playing a game with your dog could have quite that many variables. As Agility Dog said there needs to be interaction and the dog needs to be putting in most of the effort the minute you start pushing the game onto the dog its highly likely to disengage the dog (well at least in my limited experience :rofl: ).

the minute you start pushing the game onto the dog its highly likely to disengage the dog (well at least in my limited experience :rofl: ).

Not quite what I meant, but totally agree.

I haven't pushed the game on the dogs as such, but I have taught them that the game of tug involves grabbing the toy and then hanging on for grim death while I throw them around. :eek: (One of the downsides of being 5 or 6 times bigger than your dog!!)

What I mean is that the dog has to do the work of tugging - that's not meant to be my job.