Dog Grooming

Willow1979

Hi Willow,

I have been a groomer for 12 years. I originally started by working free of charge for a lovely groomer in Sydney. I worked five days a week and my two days off I worked at the groomer. I then was able to cut my days down to four a week and three at the groomers. I did that for 2 years as I learn't nearly every breed clip and slowly bought all my equipment.

There are courses around. Try and speak to people who have finished the course and see what they have to say about it. Personally I wanted to be the best I could be and that meant experience before starting out on my own. If you can find someone who will let you learn with them that is even better.

Good Luck :rofl:

Thanks Crazy Daisy im finding it hard to find anyone willing to take me on. Where im getting my hydrobath and equipment the lady has given me the number of her master groomer so hopefully i hear back from her today and she can point me in the right direction.

I've been a groomer for 17 years, prior to that I groomed my own show dogs, so knew the skills, just not the styles for other breeds. i did a 3 month residential course, working 5.5 days a week at the salon, learning 'on the job'

I continue to keep skills up to date by attending workshops and talking to other breed exhibitors at shows about the finer points of their breed trims.

Unless you are buying all the equipment for your own dogs, I would hold off and see if it is the job for you. There is a lot of hard work and nasty parts to the job, along with the physical side to the job.