Hypoglycemia In Toy Breeds

chi4me

I pick up my chihuahua from the airport on the 15th of November, and I am worried about little Charlie becoming hypoglycemic on the flight (hes coming in from Sydney - I am in Perth) as he is only a young boy.

At this stage I tend on taking a syringe mixed with water and glucodin, in case he does appear to be suffering, but am a little bit unsure on what else to provide for him...

Has anybody had any experience in toy breeds with hypoglycemia?

Could you please tell me of your experience with it...

Is it similar to what an insulin dependent person suffering from low blood sugar would go through?

I just want to make sure I am prepared and have all my bases covered.

Thankyou in advance :laugh:

Karo syrup works the best. Rub the syrup on the gums and under the tongue if your pet is unconscious. If your pet is conscious and can swallow you can give the sugar with a needleless syringe. If your puppy is wobbly, try giving food or treats he loves.

If pup is still conscious, I would use Nutrigel (or Nutripet) in place of the Glucodin. Also, I would have thought that the puppy shouldn't be flying it there is a real risk or concern of hypoglycaemia occurring during the flight.

Edited by Dante

A chihuahua, imho, should not be flying until 10 - 12 weeks, depending on weight. Glucodin is ok, Karo syrup is ok - Liquid glucose is good too, you can rub it on the gums exactly as Paul Bright suggested (sorry, never used Karo).

Hypoglycaemia obviously is caused by a drop in blood sugar level - dogs can lose consciousness, and subsequently die. It does tend to happen in young chihuauas, and other small dogs - poms, paps etc. Don't fly him till he is old enough, and if you are really worried, give him one of those Lixit drinkers hooked onto the crate with glucodin water in it.

Dante, I think glucose is better than Nutrigel, more sugar, and faster absorption. It is the standard used by vets with hypo animals.

He should be fine.

Good luck, let us know.

Paul, Dante and Jed - thankyou very much for your replies! :D

Jed - Charlie will be 10 weeks of age - but only just! I am and was quite happy to wait for him a bit longer, but this is me actually fitting in with what the breeder suggested in regards to flying him to Perth.

I am concerned, I must admit it, but want to take every precautionary step that I can, to ensure he arrives safely and in good health. I will be speaking to my breeder again tomorrow, so will politely insist (in the nicest possible way) on some type of water bottle with glucodin to be put in is crate. I dont see any dramas with that as she has been very helpful and of course advised me to take the glucodin to the airport when I pick him up from the airport in the first place. But too actually supply it to him on his way over, is a much better idea!!

Will most definitely keep you updated when he arrives.

And again I thankyou very much for your information and replies :D

I did speak to the breeder :) and what she did for his flight was freeze some water and glucodin into iceblocks for his trip to Perth.

I picked up Charlie at 2.15pm yesterday, and to me he WAS quite lethargic. Out came the glucodin with water, and within 2 - 3 minutes he had perked right up. I kept a close eye on him yesterday, and I did end up giving him a tiny little bit of nutripet - (twice) on the recommendation of my breeder friend here in WA.

He is an adorable little boy, with his tail wagging a million miles an hour, so fast that his little bottom looks like he is getting down and boogying lol!

The only other concern I have with him, is that his left eye is a little weepy and too me it looks as though his eyelashes are on his actual eye itself. Off to the vet this morning, to get him checked out.

Wanted to thankyou all again for your advice - made a nervous mummy feel much more prepared.

Thankyou Jed, Dante and Paul :laugh: