Real Christmas Trees And Doggies

koalathebear

What a lovely tree! I'm so very jealous - they are just not available where I live. I grew up with real trees. My mum was (still is) a wildlife rescue carer, one year, we had a diamond python decorating the tree along with all the lights and tinsel and everything. I remember it did a big poo all over the lounge....

Anyway, Christmas isn't the same without real trees. Other things you could do to make OH happy - perhaps even a bit teary eyed, is incorporate something from their traditional menu into your own plans. Even secretly contact a family member for a favourite recipe.

We are British, a mix of English and Scottish families, so my parents in particular miss the traditional Christmas, but I think after about 25 years they are getting used to it.

Oh, that sray on snow is nice on the windows too - you can get stencils. Quite traditional. And carols.

And the people who have trouble cleaning up pine needles, here are some tips.

1: Recut the stump before you place the tree in a bucket of water and bricks.

2: Place the tree on wood floor, or tiles, or if it has to be on carpet, put something under it to catch the needles (like a big cloth, extra big tree skirt).

3: Bring the tree down fairly promptly - if you leave it until February, you WILL have a mess on your hands.

And the down side of real trees - we've had them with some sort of insect all over them and a couple of times have had to spray the tree heavily and leave it outside for the night before we brought it in.

Hoover looks miserable in that photo.. "why are they doing this to me". :laugh:

:rofl: That's just his face. Elbie is the one who looks agonised but he will do anything for kibble including sit motionless while a silly hat is on his head :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the tree recommendation - we love it!

OMG Hoover is sooooo cute !!

I have a real tree, have had for a few years with no issues. This year the Dobe decided he wanted to drink out of the tree bowl and knocked the tree over :laugh: Actually they may have done it before but this year the tree has a very short trunk so no room to sneak under.

I don't think he will be trying that again in a hurry, the fright plus our reaction should keep him away :laugh:

OMG Hoover is sooooo cute !!

I have a real tree, have had for a few years with no issues. This year the Dobe decided he wanted to drink out of the tree bowl and knocked the tree over :) Actually they may have done it before but this year the tree has a very short trunk so no room to sneak under.

I don't think he will be trying that again in a hurry, the fright plus our reaction should keep him away :laugh:

Thanks. We think so, too :rofl: That was actually what we were worried about with our tree - that the dogs would want to drink from the tree bowl! Fortunately they have shown zero interest in drinking from it. Hoover's eaten a few pine needles but that's about it.

My main worry right now is that I have no idea what we're going to do with the tree after Christmas. I have flashbacks to the short story The Fir Tree by Hans Christian Andersen and would feel like something of a murderer if I dumped it at the tip :laugh: I suspect it will end up in the corner of our yard to blend into the environment gradually and stay a part of our family :rofl:

Edited by koalathebear